- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
End Of Term 1 Newsletter
As the end of term approaches I would like to re-affirm that school will re-open again at 08:40am on Monday 8th January 2018.
As stated in previous Newsflashes, which I hope you have had time to read, we had a very positive Section 5 OFSTED inspection back in October which demonstrates the hard work and effort by both pupils and staff in improving the education provision here at Gateacre. The report acknowledges the improved outcomes to pupils in terms of the Progress 8 measure for Year 11 pupils and we have been formally recognised as being ‘Good’ for our 16-19 provision. There is of course still a lot to be done; continuing to ensure improvements are maintained so that all of our current pupils continue to experience a rich and diverse education which will lead them onto fantastic futures and it would not be a Newsflash without the mention of attendance…we (school and you) have got to make sure attendance improves significantly.
Attached to this final Newsflash of the year are the reminders of the very clear uniform expectations that all the pupils have now come to accept as standard. After the introduction of the new routines and expectations on 12th September 2017, I am pleased to confirm that there is nearly a 100% adherence to the Redline expectations, as it should be.
Our many visitors to the school continue to comment on the impressive politeness of our pupils, their smart dress and generous smiles. Again, another positive step in the right direction as we are a community as well as a school and are concerned with ensuring that your child makes as much progress in all aspects of their character.
Over the past year, we have been focusing a lot on learning in classrooms and what we have been referring to as ‘Great Learning Habits’. These are the things that we often take for granted within lessons but our aim is to ensure that the very best learning takes place every lesson, every day. Great Learning Habits ties into our Behaviour Policy which we have introduced to staff and pupils way back in January last academic year (goodness how time flies!). For January 2018, please do ensure that your child is ready to learn on that first day back; uniform is perfect especially footwear, equipment is ready (black pen, red pen, pencil, ruler and planner).
It continues to be a pleasure to lead your child’s school and I sincerely hope that the Christmas break treats you and your family well.
I did write in a recent Newsflash about high value gifts, if you have not read that then a simple reminder is that we strongly advise that expensive or valuable items are not brought into school, if they are lost, damaged or stolen we are not in a position to find, repair or replace them - as I think you would expect: 'my property is my responsibility'. Please read our Valuables & Personal Property Policy available in the Policies section of the website.
We very recently used our MyED app to communicate the outcomes of Year 11 pupils' mock exam results. I asked for feedback on this process for you as parents/carers and I would very much like to thank those people who took time to give us their verdict, it was incredibly useful. As the year progresses we will continue to fine tune how we use the app to give you the information you need and require.
Finally, please note I will continue to remind you and keep you informed of what we are doing so that none of what takes place in school should be a surprise. So please continue to check the usual places: website, Facebook/Twitter, MyED app.
Have a pleasant Christmas and New Year.
Forthcoming Dates for Your Diary:
8th January 2018 - Start of Spring Term
8th February 2018 - Y11 Parents Evening
12th - 16th February 2018 - Half Term
22nd February 2018 - Y8 Parents Evening 3:45 - 6pm
22nd February 2018 - Y9 Options Information for Parents 6:30pm
1st March 2018 - SIXTH FORM OPEN EVENING
8th March 2018 - Y9 Parents Evening 3:45 - 6pm
22nd March 2018 - Y7 Parents Evening 3:45 - 6pm
26th March - 8th April 2018 - END OF TERM (EASTER/SPRING BREAK)
Term Dates and Key Dates can be found on your MyEd parent app or on the school website here: https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/term-dates/