- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Disadvantaged Students
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Headteacher's Newsletter 23/09/2019
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsletter 30/09/2019
- Newsletter 07/10/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsletter 14/10/2019
- Newsletter 21/10/19
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsletter 04/11/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsletter 11/11/19
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- Archive Newsflash
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
Making a change is difficult
I hope that you received your child’s attendance certificate for the Autumn Term last week, the purpose of which is to give you a clear understanding of your child’s attendance and for you to be able to spot any possible errors so we can correct them.
What some parents may also notice is that for some children there is an obvious pattern of non-attendance. Schools are directed to inform parents that it is their lawful duty under the Education Act to ensure regular attendance which we believe is anything above 95% although we have an aspirational target of 97%. It is my belief that we will achieve this but it will be hard, it will be difficult and I know through bitter experience that some parents will become upset with me when I have to highlight when attendance is not good enough.
At some point in the next 8 to 12 months we will have a return visit from Ofsted to check on the progress we are making. I believe that right now we are making really good progress, in fact, after the recent A Level and Vocational course results were published, you could argue that the school is doing exceptionally well.
But, our school attendance is not good. In fact, and this is difficult to say, our school attendance will not help us maintain our current level of progress.
This past week we have struggled to hit 90%. I know there are bugs, flu and colds knocking about but I also know that some children are telling their parents they feel like staying off, or they fancy going shopping, or they are going to a dance competition over the weekend which doesn’t actually start until Saturday afternoon but they’re going to go on Friday anyway to miss the traffic.
They are all excuses I have had, which are not acceptable.
Our Ofsted report clearly says attendance is an issue:
“Attendance is not good enough. Too many pupils, particularly those who are disadvantaged, are regularly absent from school.” But in the very same report it goes on to say “Leaders have created a very strong culture of safeguarding in which pupils feel safe, valued and happy. It is therefore a great shame that such a significant proportion of pupils, particularly those who are disadvantaged, are missing out on this experience by not attending school regularly.”
So we need to make a change and I am talking directly to those parents who are not sending in their children on a regular basis. We need to work together. I want your child to get a great education and go on to be successful in whatever they want to do. All I ask from you is to send them to school.
Our Year 7 and Year 8 football girls were involved in the Merseyside Football Tournament at NLA on Tuesday. The girls played very well despite the very cold conditions and were a credit to the school, securing a win against Broadgreen in the final game.
Performance tables 16-18 results
The Department for Education published all schools 16-18 performance recently and we are very pleased to have found that our school is in the top 10% nationally for A Level and Applied progress.
An excellent achievement for the pupils and staff in a year when we were also removed from Special Measures.
6th February 2018 is Safer Internet day and throughout the week students will be looking at a variety of internet safety topics.
During Academic Tutor time students in each form will have four sessions about:
- Introduction to E Safety
- Online Behaviour
- Digital Footprint
- Online Risks
There are a number of websites and useful resources including videos providing advice for parents here: https://www.internetmatters.org
Links are available on the school website E-Safety Section here: http://gateacre.org/school-life/esafety-advice-for-parents/
There are also a number of parental advice sheets available in the Safeguarding Area of our Reception .Please feel free to take a copy.
Dates for Your Diary:
8th February 2018 - Y11 Parents Evening 3:45pm - 6pm
12th - 16th February 2018 - Half Term
22nd February 2018 - Y8 Parents Evening 3:45 - 6pm
22nd February 2018 - Y9 Options Information for Parents 6:30pm
1st March 2018 - SIXTH FORM OPEN EVENING
8th March 2018 - Y9 Parents Evening 3:45 - 6pm
22nd March 2018 - Y7 Parents Evening 3:45 - 6pm
26th March - 8th April 2018 - EASTER/SPRING BREAK
Term Dates and Key Dates can be found on your MyEd parent app or on the school website here: https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/term-dates/