- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
As you are probably well aware we were visited by Ofsted this week, I need to be clear that I cannot discuss any judgements that were made on the day as the report is sent off for moderation by another group of inspectors.
The inspection was initially a Section 8 monitoring visit, similar to the one conducted all the way back in November 2016 by HMI Bonenfant, to check the progress being made against the areas for improvement from the last Section 5 inspection in May 2016 when Mr Lonergan was Headteacher. During the course of the first day the lead inspector, HMI Seneviratne, decided that there was enough evidence to convert to a full Section 5.
Once an inspection is converted from a Section 8 to a Section 5 it meant that a school will be judged against all the standards laid out in Ofsted’s Section 5 Inspection Framework handbook.
So what now? Well in the next 10 days I will be sent a draft of the report to check for accuracy, the report will then be reviewed, after approximately another 10 days we will then be able to make the report available to you as a parent or carer of a child at the school. Soon after the report goes live on the Ofsted website.
We will of course continue to keep you updated with any news on this and I would very much like to thank those many parents and carers that came into the building to talk about the changes that have taken place over the past 12 months, those parents that called into school and spoke to the inspectors on the phone and the many of you that emailed us to pass your comments regarding improvements to the inspectors. We were overwhelmed by the very positive response.
All we are trying to do is provide the best education we can for your child, we think we are doing the right things in the right way and whilst I totally appreciate that sometimes when I am asking as Headteacher that pupils wear uniform, do homework, talk to other adults and pupils with respect that for some prior to my arrival 44 weeks ago this was not typically asked for and this can cause conflict between home and school I am doing it for the right reasons. I know that there has been a huge change that we are continually raising our expectations for your child and for my staff, but your child deserves a good standard of education and my staff deserve to work in a calm and friendly environment.
I certainly hope that the improvements right across the school and positive changes to our school culture will be recognised because a lot of what has been done and achieved to date is also largely down to the vast support I have received from yourselves right at the beginning of last year when I laid out the expectations of the Red Line; your child’s school is about learning.
I don’t think we would have a weekly Newsflash without some mention of attendance.
It is crucially important for us to continue with our great start to this year on the back of the very impressive exam results for GCSE, A Level and Vocational.
We can only continue to improve by making sure pupils attend on a regular basis. Anything below 95% really is not regular, it actually becomes quite concerning and we must all face a really difficult fact that if you are not sending your child to school on a regular basis then you are seriously limiting their education opportunity.
The more often pupils attend, the better they do in their exams.
The better someone’s exam grades are, whether they are at GCSE, A Level or Vocational the more options for employment, training and higher education they have.
There are also lots of research studies conducted on people’s level of education, their wealth, health and happiness. The studies suggest that the better educated someone is the more likely they are to live longer, have fewer health issues and complaints, earn more money over their life and generally be much happier.
Your children are fantastic, I thoroughly enjoy coming to work every single day because the pupils at this school make it such a lovely place to work.
Please send them in everyday, we miss them when they are off.
We have been shortlisted in this year’s Educate Awards in the 3 following categories-
- Outstanding Commitment to Sport in a Secondary School
- Communication Award
- Spirit of Enterprise Award
2017 has seen an unprecedented number of entries and the quality across all categories has certainly impressed the Educate judges, making it a very tough decision-making process. Judges this year commented that the standard of entries was so high, that in some categories, you could have made a very good case for shortlisting just about every applicant. Therefore it is already an outstanding achievement to have made the shortlist, not once but three time!
Forthcoming Dates for Your Diary:
3rd October Y13 Parents Uni Finance Info Eve 6pm
19th October Acoustic Night 6pm (Tickets £2.50 available from reception)
20th October INSET Day school closed to students
23rd-27th October HALF TERM
Term Dates and Key Dates can be found on your MyEd parent app or on the school website here: https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/term-dates/