- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Disadvantaged Students
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- School reopening updates and information
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Headteacher's Newsletter 23/09/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsletter 30/09/2019
- Newsletter 07/10/2019
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsletter 14/10/2019
- Newsletter 21/10/19
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsletter 04/11/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsletter 11/11/19
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsletter 18/11/19
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsletter 25/11/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsletter 3rd December 2019
- Newsletter 9/12/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsletter 16/12/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsletter 6th January 2020
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsletter 13th January 2020
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsletter 20/01/20
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsletter 27.01.2020
- Newsletter 3/2/2020
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsletter 10/02/2020
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsletter 24/02/2020
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsletter 02/03/2020
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsletter 09/03/2020
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Coronavirus schools update
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Coronavirus schools update
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- Blood Brothers
- We are the champions!
- Girls Football update
- Ghost Hunting with Yvette Fielding
- Project Phosela
- Ghost Hunting with Archie, Yvette and Watson
- Peace Out
- Basketball update
- Cyber Champions
- Another Place
- BIG Little Library Christmas Book Flood
- Drama at The Basement
- Christmas Comedy Cracker
- Community Christmas Lunch
- Carol Concert
- Girls in STEM
- Strauss and Stravinsky
- Blood Brothers Workshop
- FREE online course for parents, carers and grandparents
- Coming Soon! Bands Night
- City indoor athletics competition
- A sporting update
- Work Experience
- Barcelona 2020
- Wonderful words from the Whitechapel
- Medicine in Space
- British Sign Language lessons
- What a week for Reading!
- Ich bin ein Berliner
- How to Wash Your Hands
- GCSE Pod
- Social distancing at the school gates
- Calling all Year 6
- A message from Maria Eagle MP
- Free School Meals
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- Archive Newsflash
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
Gateacre School Academy Order
I am sure you are probably aware that two years ago today (18.05.2016) Gateacre School was inspected by Ofsted which placed the school into Special Measures. The previous Headteacher retired at the end of that academic year and I took over the school from September 2016.
Schools that are placed into an ‘Inadequate’ category are then subject to an academy conversion.
This situation is obviously very unnerving because there are lots of ‘what if’ questions. However, since September 2016 Gateacre School has transformed from what it was previously.
In November 2016 we were visited by HMI for a one day monitoring visit who noted the incredible changes taking place. In April 2017 a Department for Education advisor visited the school to look at how the school was improving and further supported what we knew that the school was rapidly improving.
Summer 2017 saw some of the best results in its recent history for GCSE, A Level and Vocational (A Level/Vocational being top 10% nationally). We are of course humbly proud of these modest achievements that are a sign hopefully of even better things.
October 2017, we were re-inspected by Ofsted which was initially just a Section 8 Monitoring visit to check that the school was continuing to improve, we were of course. But in the morning of day 1 the lead HMI had a conversation with me to state that because of the improved results and initial views of the school the team were converting to a full Section 5 Inspection. The outcome of this took the school out of Special Measures and a particular highlight was the recognition that our 6th Form provision is ‘Good’. We knew this, but it is always nice to have someone else say it too.
After the positive Ofsted outcome myself and the Chair of our Interim Executive Board wrote to the Regional School Commissioner to ask that the Academy Order placed on the school prior to me starting be lifted.
In April 2018 another Department for Education advisor visited to once again check how the school was improving. The report was sent to the Commissioner’s Office and we awaited an outcome.
Finally, this week we have received a letter from the Regional Schools Commissioner for our region and I am very pleased to confirm that the Academy Order for Gateacre School is being revoked pursuant to section 5D Academies Act 2010.
As we are going to continue to be a local authority maintained community school I need to identify two very important next steps for us all:
1. Continue to improve attendance for all pupils so that it is at least at the same level nationally. Anything less is unacceptable. We have an ambition to be at or above 97% for all pupils in all year groups.The very minimum target attendance for your child is 95% which equates to no more than 9 days total absence during the whole school year, September to July.
2. Continue to improve pupil outcomes so that Gateacre School at very least attains national average for pupil progress at Key Stage 4 – GCSE and Key Stage 5 - A Level/Vocational.
Good attendance is crucial to performing well at school but it also embeds excellent habits and expectations to be successful beyond school in the work place. How many of us get frustrated when someone is late or if we have organised for someone to come and do a job and they don’t turn up? We will continue to focus our efforts and energies on ensuring attendance is our top priority so that your child can receive a good education and get excellent outcomes in their exams.
Please remember everything we are doing is to benefit your child and to improve our local community.
Next Week's Exams
Zoe’s Place / National Children’s Hospice Week
Next week is National Children’s Hospice Week. To support Zoë’s Place we have offered to be a clothing collection point for the week. If you have any unwanted clothes, shoes or accessories please place them in the box to be collected. It does state clearly what is and isn’t accepted on the box. All suitable item donations will be greatly appreciated.
On Friday 25th May we will be placing all the lost property on blue tables close to the main office, to give students a chance (after school) to claim their lost items. We will be giving parents/carers the opportunity to collect items on Tues 29th May (during half-term). Any items left over will also be placed in the box for collection.
Safeguarding update – Digital self-harm
Have you heard of ‘digital self-harm’? I hadn’t until I read an article on the BBC this morning click here to read it.
In summary an extensive piece of research into the habits of young people online showed that a minority of young people who state they are a victim of cyber bullying are in fact creating false accounts and ‘trolling’ (a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people) themselves.
The research and interviews conducted with some of the young people who did these behaviours explained that part of what they wanted was attention. In the same way people get an addition to ‘likes’ on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, the positive affirmation gained from social media friends to negative or hurtful comments becomes important.
As young people’s use of different online social worlds expands with websites and apps they are opening themselves up to the unknown. Schools are becoming more and more involved in resolving online disputes often with children who are communicating with unknown individuals.
We emphasise the importance of the block and delete functions for any unwanted attention. We also strongly advise that sometimes its better to not even be part of the online social media groups, going outside, playing and talking with friends is much healthier and easier for us as parents to manage. Something we should consider after reading this article.
Dates for Your Diary:
28th May Half Term
6th June Y9 Vaccinations
25th June Y11 Prom
3rd July Y6 Primary School Parents Information Evening - doors open 5pm (Headteacher welcome at 6pm)
13th July Y10 & Y12 Mock Exam Results
13th July Y13 Prom
20th July End of Term
(23rd & 24th July INSET Days)
4th September Start Of Term - Back To School staggered start times for year groups
Term Dates and Key Dates can be found on your MyEd parent app or on the school website here: https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/term-dates/