- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- Archive Newsflash
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
Impact Of Energy Drinks On Learning In Schools
You are probably aware that Gateacre School, like nearly all schools, does not allow fizzy or “energy” drinks in school. The reason being that they have a detrimental effect on pupils’ teeth, they are not healthy drunk in the quantities that they are sold in and the very large quantities of sugar and caffeine have a negative impact on pupils’ behaviour and attention spans.
A recent BBC article, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42298192 , talks about the issues that many schools, parents, carers and teachers face when it comes to the consumption of energy drinks. In the report, one young person gives a first-hand account of the issues faced by drinking lots of these types of drinks:
“Victoria Stean, from Milton Keynes, started consuming energy drinks when she was 16 and was soon drinking around seven 500ml cans a day.
She said: "I was definitely hooked. I would have a can for breakfast, another one mid-morning and several in the afternoon.
"It took me a while to wean myself off energy drinks. I would get headaches if I didn't drink them. Since I have stopped drinking them I have lost weight and my vision has improved again.
"Ironically, I also have more energy now and I sleep better."
At Gateacre, our main issue is when pupils buy lots of energy drinks from the various pound shops across the road in Belle Vale. As partners in ensuring that Gateacre continues to become a better school, I would ask that, where possible, you use our online parent pay facility for school lunches but also discuss with your child what they spend their (your!!) money on, either coming to or going home from school.
We withhold the right to take energy drinks from pupils as they have a negative impact on behaviour and learning within the school.
Christmas Closure – Thursday 21st December
In a previous Newsflash I asked that you do not take your child out for a Christmas shopping day or indulge in a day simply because it is December.
We close for the Christmas break at 1:05pm on Thursday 21st December, meaning that Friday 22nd is available all day for any final Christmas preparations you wish to make with your family. Also, there are still three weekends between now and Christmas Day which, again, is plenty of time to shop for clothes or any of the other items you or your family needs to enjoy the festive break.
We return to school on Monday 8th January, our doors will be open from 7am to welcome the usual early birds who attend breakfast club with myself, Mr Coulthard and our kitchen staff; Sarah-Jane and Carol who are generally our two early morning servers preparing food for your children. We expect all pupils to be in by 8.40am ready for lessons starting at 8.45am.
So to be clear, Autumn term finishes on Thursday 21st December at 1.05pm, we return on Monday 8th January 2018 with all pupils being in the building ready to learn by 8.40am
BookTrust is delighted to support Gateacre's Big Little Library with its Christmas campaign to get children reading.
The Book Flood is a fantastic initiative following the Icelandic tradition of exchanging gifts on Christmas Eve, ensuring as many local children as possible have something special this festive season.
Read the full story here....https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/news/big-little-library-book-flood/
Often, over Christmas, it is a time to provide children with new bits of uniform, knitwear uniform and winter sports kit outerwear items ready for the New Year so, in advance of that, I would like to remind pupils and parents about uniform expectations communicated since last November and each half term since then.
You can find the link to the uniform expectations here: https://www.gateacre.org/school-life/uniform-what-is-and-isnt-allowed-2/
You can purchase new Gateacre School uniform items and PE kit online here: https://www.swidtp.co.uk/
Alternatively, John Lewis are currently offering some Gateacre School uniform clearance stock on sale at reduced prices.
Forthcoming Dates for Your Diary:
19th December - Carol Concert 7pm
21st December - End of Autumn Term
8th January 2018 - Start of Spring Term
8th February 2018 - Y11 Parents Evening
12th - 16th February 2018 - Half Term
22nd February 2018 - Y8 Parents Evening 3:45 - 6pm
22nd February 2018 - Y9 Options Information for Parents 6:30pm
1st March 2018 - SIXTH FORM OPEN EVENING
Term Dates and Key Dates can be found on your MyEd parent app or on the school website here: https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/term-dates/