- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Disadvantaged Students
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Headteacher's Newsletter 23/09/2019
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsletter 30/09/2019
- Newsletter 07/10/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsletter 14/10/2019
- Newsletter 21/10/19
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsletter 04/11/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsletter 11/11/19
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsletter 18/11/19
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsletter 25/11/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsletter 3rd December 2019
- Newsletter 9/12/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsletter 16/12/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsletter 6th January 2020
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsletter 13th January 2020
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsletter 20/01/20
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsletter 27.01.2020
- Newsletter 3/2/2020
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsletter 10/02/2020
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- Blood Brothers
- We are the champions!
- Girls Football update
- Ghost Hunting with Yvette Fielding
- Project Phosela
- Ghost Hunting with Archie, Yvette and Watson
- Peace Out
- Basketball update
- Cyber Champions
- Another Place
- BIG Little Library Christmas Book Flood
- Drama at The Basement
- Christmas Comedy Cracker
- Community Christmas Lunch
- Carol Concert
- Girls in STEM
- Strauss and Stravinsky
- Blood Brothers Workshop
- FREE online course for parents, carers and grandparents
- Coming Soon! Bands Night
- City indoor athletics competition
- A sporting update
- Work Experience
- Barcelona 2020
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- Archive Newsflash
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
Passport to Blackpool and GCSE countdown
The passport to Blackpool initiative has had a huge impact thus far and ‘Pizza Wednesday’ was a massive success, both in terms of pupil turn out and the amount of pizza eaten on the night - a new world record I believe.
There are approximately 11 school weeks left until the exams and if you think back to September how fast the time has gone.
In order for pupils to secure their place on the Blackpool trip (IT IS FREE!!), there are 9 more weeks to go, we have a further 4 weeks left of this half term until Easter and 5 more weeks after Easter in the lead up towards the summer exam season.
Parents, please ask your child these questions: Have you got your GCSE Pod login? Which after school sessions are you doing this week (you’ve got to go to maths!)? Is there anything I can help you with? Are you ok?
The run up to GCSE exams is a stressful time and, as adults, sometimes we forget what it was like for us because it was such a long, long time ago. Please do remember that we are here to help your child and if you need some advice we are here to help you too.
You are not alone, we are in this together.
This week we had the privilege of having an Enigma machine from World War II in school demonstrated by Natasha Riley from Bletchley Park, (once the top-secret home of the World War II Codebreakers where the first wartime Enigma messages were broken in January 1940, now a vibrant heritage attraction). Groups of students enjoyed working on maths coding in lessons and using the Enigma machine to try their codebreaking skills. Some cracked the code in record time!
Our Careers Fair on Tuesday 20th February was a great success. The event provided an opportunity for students to find out about different careers they are interested in from over 60 exhibitors from every kind of industry and business sector (including recruitment/career advisors and apprenticeships) across a diverse range of careers including: Army; Navy; Royal Airforce; NHS; banking, chemical engineers; law; commerce and industry. For more about careers guidance and work experience click here… http://gateacre.org/school-life/careers-and-work-experience/
As you will no doubt be aware from previous Newsflashes, we are constantly discussing and reminding parents and carers about the importance of good attendance. Good attendance is 95% and above but we are struggling to get above 93%.
We were affected quite badly with the various flus and other sicknesses in the half term just gone, but even before then we rarely had a week before Christmas which was above 94%.
Last night (22nd February), after the options evening, a couple of parents raised questions about the text notification. In order for the school to continue to improve we have to have as many of the pupils in the building as possible arriving on time, working hard and being polite.
Until our whole school attendance percentage rises above 95% we will always be questioned by those who conduct external school reviews as to what we are doing to improve it and how we are engaging parents.
My promise to you is this: once our attendance improves to where it should be compared to other schools nationally, I will then re-evaluate the use of the text system to inform us all about how each year group is doing. We are all in this together, I want to thank all those parents who are so supportive of the school, who send their child in every single day. But we still have to do more to get the other 4 to 5% on board.
Educational research and evidence points towards the more your child attends, the better they will do. I want your child to leave Gateacre School with qualifications that they are very proud of - as parents you deserve that level of commitment from us to keep improving.
Dates for Your Diary:
1st March 2018 - SIXTH FORM OPEN EVENING
8th March 2018 - Y9 Parents Evening 3:45 - 6pm
22nd March 2018 - Y7 Parents Evening 3:45 - 6pm
26th March - 8th April 2018 - EASTER/SPRING BREAK
Term Dates and Key Dates can be found on your MyEd parent app or on the school website here: https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/term-dates/