- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/19
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
Y7 Catch-Up Premium 2018/19
The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium gives schools additional funding to support year 7 pupils who did not achieve the expected standard (a scaled score of 100) in reading and or/maths at the end of key stage 2. Using various interventions, we as a school focus on giving these students the opportunity to ‘catch up’ to their peers in their first year at secondary school. Schools decide how this additional funding should be spent to best support the boosting of these young people’s progress.
In 2018/19 we will identify the Catch-up premium cohort and using the Question Level Analysis (QLA) of the KS2 SATS papers, pin point the key areas that these students may need additional support with.
This academic year 38 students have been identified as Non Secondary Ready in Reading and a further 52 students were identified as Non Secondary Ready in Maths.
How we intend to spend our allocation for 2018/19
A Level 3 Teaching Assistant who specialises in numeracy has been employed since Sept’17 to give students a mix of small group extraction and 1:1 support focusing on;
- Developing students understanding of core mathematical principles.
- Giving students the time and support to practise and master core mathematical skills.
- Building student’s confidence in maths and fostering enthusiasm for the subject.
- Using innovative and enjoyable resources such as Numeracy Ninjas, Number shark, and the Catch up Numeracy programme.
- Three TAs will be leading a range of bespoke reading/literacy interventions before and after school. This will be the Toe by Toe intervention.
- The SENDCO, HLTA and a level 3 Teaching Assistant will deliver literacy interventions in the inclusion department using a mix of a PIXL Phonics programme to deliver multisensory teaching approaches, accelerated reading, and the Catch up Literacy programme.
- We also offer Private Tuition after school to boost reading, handwriting, and word processing skills.
- The Literacy Co-ordinator delivers a bespoke reading catch up programme to students during form time.
How we spent our allocation in 2017/18
In September 2017, 43 students were identified as Non Secondary Ready in Reading and equally 43 students were identified as Non Secondary Ready in Maths. Gateacre School was allocated £13,391 as part of the Catch up Premium to help improve learning outcomes for our Catch up students
We provided a range of bespoke and individualised interventions for these students who were allocated support that was appropriate for their needs.
- 17 Catch-up premium students were taught Maths in a small nurture group.
- A Level 3 Teaching Assistant who specialises in numeracy was employed to deliver a variety of interventions i.e. Catch-up numeracy, Numeracy Ninjas, and Number shark.
- The SEND champion from the Maths Department provided training and guidance for Teaching Assistants, the HLTA, and the SENDCO to help the inclusion department deliver the Maths
- PiXL programme to catch up students.
- Cross curricular interventions involving Food Tech, Science, and Gardening were used to boost student’s numeracy skills.
- 17 Catch up students were taught English in a small nurture group.
- A Level 3 Teaching Assistant who specialises in literacy was employed to deliver a variety of interventions i.e. Catch-up literacy, Accelerated Reading, PiXL Phonics and Word shark.
- Students were supported by being allocated to a Literacy Intervention Group, 1:1 individualised support and small group tuition focusing on reading, spelling, writing, and comprehension.
- The Literacy Co-ordinator delivered the Reading catch up programme to a specific cohort during form time.
- The SENDCO, and a teacher who specialises in teaching students with specific learning difficulties also worked with groups looking at phonics and delivered multisensory literacy lessons to catch up students.
The impact Catch-up Premium had in 2017/18
The progress of the cohort of 86 students was as follows;
43 students qualified for the Maths catch-up premium.
|Level of progress||Number of students||Percentage|
|Total number of Students||42|
|Students who were on target at Assessment Point 3||21||49%|
|Students who completed the Numeracy Cath up programme successfully||8||18%|
|Students who will continue to get support and be monitored in year 8||14||33%|
43 students qualified for the Reading/English catch-up premium
|Levels of progress||Number of students||Percentage|
|Total number of students||43|
|Students who were on target at Assessment Point 3||26||60%|
|Students who completed the Literacy Catch up programme successfully||16||37%|
|Students who will continue to get support and be monitored in year 8||16||37%|
As a school are now using PIVATS to track smaller steps of progress. We will continue to support our catch up students using the graduated approach.
Y7 Catch up Funding Allocation 2017 to 2018
|Yr 7 Catch up Support Activity||Time||Staff||Hrly Rate||Number of Staff||Number of Hrs||Number of weeks||Total Cost per week||Cost|
|Nurture Group Maths||TA||£11.91||1||4||38||£47.64||£1810.32|
|Nurture Group English||TA||£11.91||1||4||38||£47.64||£1810.32|
|Literacy Catch up and Accelerated Reading||8 hours per week||TA||£11.91||1||8||38||£95.28||£3620.64|
|Numeracy Catch up||10.5 hours per week||TA||£11.91||1||10||24||£125||£4752.09|
|Literacy Intervention||2 hours per week||Teacher||£39||2||4||24||£156||£5928.00|