- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Disadvantaged Students
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- COVID-19 updates
- Coronavirus schools update
- Coronavirus schools update
- Headteacher's Newsletter 09/12/20
- Headteacher's Newsletter 28/12/20
- Headteacher's Newsletter 31/12/20
- Headteacher's Newsletter 05/01/21
- School re-opening update- March
- Headteacher's Newsletter 26/03/21
- Headteacher's Newsletter 09/04/21
- Archive Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletters 19/20
- Newsletter 09/03/2020
- Newsletter 02/03/2020
- Newsletter 24/02/2020
- Newsletter 10/02/2020
- Newsletter 3/2/2020
- Newsletter 27.01.2020
- Newsletter 20/01/20
- Newsletter 13th January 2020
- Newsletter 6th January 2020
- Newsletter 16/12/2019
- Newsletter 9/12/2019
- Newsletter 3rd December 2019
- Newsletter 25/11/2019
- Newsletter 18/11/19
- Newsletter 11/11/19
- Newsletter 04/11/2019
- Newsletter 21/10/19
- Newsletter 14/10/2019
- Newsletter 07/10/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 23/09/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- Newsletter 30/09/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletters 18/19
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletters 19/20
- 2020/21 News
- Working through self-isolation
- Virtual Open Evening
- Join Liverpool Race Equality Task Force Event
- UK Parliament Week
- Gateacre in the press
- Thank you!
- Community Christmas Cards
- Virtual Christmas Concert
- Government scheme for free mobile data increases
- January 2021 Exams Update
- Live Lessons
- Arts Award success
- Summer Exams 2021
- Ofsted Parent View
- He's back!
- The Duke of Edinburgh
- Ofsted remote monitoring inspection
- 2019/20 News
- Blood Brothers
- We are the champions!
- Girls Football update
- Ghost Hunting with Yvette Fielding
- Project Phosela
- Ghost Hunting with Archie, Yvette and Watson
- Peace Out
- Basketball update
- Cyber Champions
- Another Place
- BIG Little Library Christmas Book Flood
- Drama at The Basement
- Christmas Comedy Cracker
- Community Christmas Lunch
- Carol Concert
- Girls in STEM
- Strauss and Stravinsky
- Blood Brothers Workshop
- FREE online course for parents, carers and grandparents
- Coming Soon! Bands Night
- City indoor athletics competition
- A sporting update
- Work Experience
- Barcelona 2020
- Wonderful words from the Whitechapel
- Medicine in Space
- British Sign Language lessons
- What a week for Reading!
- Ich bin ein Berliner
- How to Wash Your Hands
- GCSE Pod
- Social distancing at the school gates
- Calling all Year 6
- A message from Maria Eagle MP
- Free School Meals
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
Y7 Catch-Up Premium 2019/20
The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium gives schools additional funding to support year 7 pupils who did not achieve the expected standard (a scaled score of 100) in reading and or/maths at the end of key stage 2. Using various interventions, we as a school focus on giving these students the opportunity to ‘catch up’ to their peers in their first year at secondary school. Schools decide how this additional funding should be spent to best support the boosting of these young people’s progress.
In 2019/20 we will identify the Catch-up premium cohort and using the Question Level Analysis (QLA) of the KS2 SATS papers, pin point the key areas that these students may need additional support with.
This academic year 75 students have been identified as Non Secondary Ready in Reading and a further 55 students were identified as Non Secondary Ready in Maths.
How we intend to spend our allocation for 2019/20
A Level 3 Teaching Assistant who specialises in numeracy has been employed since Sept’17 to give students a mix of small group extraction and 1:1 support focusing on;
- Developing students understanding of core mathematical principles.
- Giving students the time and support to practise and master core mathematical skills.
- Building student’s confidence in maths and fostering enthusiasm for the subject.
- Using innovative and enjoyable resources such as Times Table Rockstars, Numeracy Ninjas, Number shark, and the Catch up Numeracy programme.
- Three TAs will be leading a range of bespoke reading/literacy interventions before and after school. This will be the Toe by Toe and Word Wasp intervention.
- The SENDCo, Assistant SENDCo, HLTA and a level 3 Teaching Assistant will deliver literacy interventions in the inclusion department using a mix of a PIXL Phonics programme to deliver multisensory teaching approaches, accelerated reading, and the Catch up Literacy programme.
- We also offer Private Tuition after school to boost reading, handwriting, and word processing skills.
- The Literacy Co-ordinator delivers a bespoke reading catch up programme to students during form time.
How we spent our allocation in 2018/19
In September 2018, 52 students were identified as Non Secondary Ready in Reading and equally 50 students were identified as Non Secondary Ready in Maths. Gateacre School was allocated £10,284 as part of the Catch up Premium to help improve learning outcomes for our Catch up students
We provided a range of bespoke and individualised interventions for these students who were allocated support that was appropriate for their needs.
- 17 Catch-up premium students were taught Maths in a small nurture group.
- A Level 3 Teaching Assistant who specialises in numeracy was employed to deliver a variety of interventions i.e. Catch-up numeracy, Times Tables Rockstars, Numeracy Ninjas, and Number shark.
- The SEND champion from the Maths Department provided training and guidance for Teaching Assistants, the HLTA, and the SENDCO to help the inclusion department deliver the Maths PiXL programme to catch up students.
- Cross curricular interventions involving Food Tech, Science, and Gardening were used to boost student’s numeracy skills.
- 17 Catch up students were taught English in a small nurture group.
- A Level 3 Teaching Assistant who specialises in literacy was employed to deliver a variety of interventions i.e. Catch-up literacy, Accelerated Reading, PiXL Phonics and Word shark.
- Students were supported by being allocated to a Literacy Intervention Group, 1:1 individualised support and small group tuition focusing on reading, spelling, writing, and comprehension.
- The Literacy Co-ordinator delivered the Reading catch up programme to a specific cohort during form time.
- The SENDCO, and a teacher who specialises in teaching students with specific learning difficulties also worked with groups looking at phonics and delivered multisensory literacy lessons to catch up students.
The impact Catch-up Premium had in 2018/19
The progress of the cohort of 102 students was as follows;
50 students qualified for the Maths catch-up premium.
|Level of progress||Number of students||Percentage|
|Total number of Students||50|
|Students who were on target at Assessment Point 3||26||52%|
|Students who completed the Numeracy Cath up programme successfully||27||54%|
|Students who will continue to get support and be monitored in year 8||14||28%|
52 students qualified for the Reading/English catch-up premium
|Levels of progress||Number of students||Percentage|
|Total number of students||52|
|Students who were on target at Assessment Point 3||27||52%|
|Students who completed the Literacy Catch up programme successfully||14||27%|
|Students who will continue to get support and be monitored in year 8||17||37%|
As a school are now using PIVATS to track smaller steps of progress. We will continue to support our catch up students using the graduated approach.
Y7 Catch up Funding Allocation 2018 to 2019
|Yr 7 Catch up Support Activity||Time||Staff||Hrly Rate||Number of Staff||Number of Hrs||Number of weeks||Total Cost per week||Cost|
|Nurture Group Maths||TA||£10.65||1||4||38||£42.60||£1618.80|
|Nurture Group English||TA||£10.65||1||4||38||£42.60||£1618.80|
|Literacy Catch up and Accelerated Reading||8 hours per week||TA||£10.65||1||8||38||£85.20||£3237.60|
|Numeracy Catch up||15 hours per week||TA||£10.65||1||10||38||£159.75||£6070.50|