- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
This week has seen some simply stunning attendance rates across the school demonstrating, what I hope will be, the start of a shift in both culture and attitude towards attending school on a regular basis.
To put this into some context, when I joined Gateacre back in September 2016 the school had an average attendance rate of 89%. Over the two and half years since then, we have yo-yod between 91.5% and 92.4%. In short it has been quite a struggle to get it to what we are starting to see on a more regular basis in the table below.
From nowhere, this week has seen a huge shift across Yr7-10 which has shocked us all in a really positive way simply because we are all so pleased that your child is spending more time with us.
Whilst the published ‘official’ figure for Yr 11 looks so low there are some very specific reasons within this year group that have to be understood without creating an excuse culture. There are 15 pupils that have struggled significantly with attending school on a regular basis for the past five years, the final two GCSE years have exacerbated this poor attendance pattern with them choosing to not attend at all in some cases despite a great deal of support being given. When these 15 pupils are removed from the Yr 11 cohort the attendance figure rises from the mid to high 80s up to 95-97%.
So to all the Year 11 pupils and their parents who, for the past 5 years, have supported them with doing the right thing; coming to school, learning and making progress. Well done!
But again we continue with our struggle to maintain consistency on a Friday and, as we move forward, addressing this issue will be a key priority over the coming months to really understand why parents/carers are keeping their children off. Ultimately if you, as a parent/carer that regularly endorses your child's absence on a Friday, you are damaging their future.
Y7 Science Visit to University of Liverpool
On Thursday, 35 Year 7 pupils attended the University of Liverpool to participate in a Science Workshop and other activities throughout the day, including a campus tour and an overview of opportunities when studying at university.
The visit gave pupils the opportunity to work with undergraduate students from the university and complete experiments linked to the issue of our changing oceans! Activities aimed to encourage pupils to gain a better understanding of what university life is like and to give them the opportunity to experience life on campus.
Our students said it was "awesome".
Year 11 GCSE countdown and A Level early opening
5 school days away from the first big GCSE exam, how quickly that time has gone!
On Tuesday 14th May Biology paper 1 for all Year 11 pupils begins at 1:30pm, last year myself and Mr Coulthard opened up the school at 06:45am for those who wanted to be in school early if it helped them prepare and feel less stressed or anxious. This year we are offering the same opportunity to both Year 11 and Year 13 sitting their GCSEs and A Levels throughout the exam period starting on Wednesday 15th May when the first AM exams begin.
We will also have the free breakfast available to all students who come in early before school starts, from 07:00am and, so that both Year 11 and Year 13 can get priority service at the canteen server, we have allocated Till 1 to be a fast-serve for these two year groups only. Every little helps.
Primary School to Secondary School Transition
Rudston Primary School Student Council visited us today to meet our Student Ambassadors and Neuro Champions. Together, they are working collaboratively on a school to school project aimed at easing the transition from primary to secondary, making it a smoother process.
The transition from primary to secondary school can be difficult for many students and can be a source of stress or anxiety for some. Gateacre School students, with the help of input and feedback from their younger primary peers, will be producing a helpful pamphlet, an infomercial and an animated information video to help answer any typical questions and alleviate any worries and concerns about Secondary School or Your First Day In Year 7. We hope to share these with parents, students and schools online, on YouTube and in hard copy format .....coming soon in July.
MFL Spanish Students Visit
Our Modern Foreign Languages department invite international students and Spanish Schools to come and experience secondary school life in Liverpool several times a year. This week our students have been shadowed by 27 Spanish students from La Rioja. The Spanish students enjoyed watching lessons and experiencing life in an English school. Some good friendships were made and they hope to return soon. Thank you to Tracy Kenny for co-ordinating and to Mrs Tobin in MFL department.
Drama News - Sweeney Todd
GCSE and A Level Drama students enjoyed a recent trip to the Everyman Theatre to see a stunning production of Sweeney Todd as part of the ‘response to live theatre’ aspect of their course. As always, the students were a credit to the school. It was an incredible performance, with students commenting not only on the amazing acting and singing ability of the cast but also the wonderful use of lighting, props and staging. It was made even more enjoyable when one of our staff, the lovely Lisa Mitchell, was suddenly involved in the show, impromptu without any prior warning!
Word Of The Week
Each week, our English department chooses a new Word Of The Week (WOW) which students should try to use as much as possible in their vocabulary. We ask families to join in and support this by trying to use that week's word in conversation at home for fun and see who can use it the most, correctly. Next week's WOW is:
Dates For Your Diary:
27th - 31st May: Half Term
2nd July: Jungle Book the show
4th July: Y10 Parents Evening 3:45pm - 6pm
9th July: Art Exhibition
16th July: Summer Concert 7pm
19th July: End of Term