- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Whilst we have had a number of below 90% attendance days in some year groups, it is important to compare the current attendance to the same point last year in order to see year-on-year improvement.
I am really pleased to inform parents and carers that we are just above 2% better this year compared to last year on the same week where we ended on 89.2%. Now, 2% in the attendance world is huge, think about it: - nearly 1000 pupils across 190 days, that’s a lot of external factors that can affect how well a school does in trying to ensure pupils attend and that parents/carers are fully supportive of the school in educating their children.
The ups and downs of some of our pupils’ attendance rates are something that we will continue to work on relentlessly day after day, and I want to publicly thank the vast number of parents/carers who just do the right thing week in, week out, day after day, reinforcing that message: “you are going to school”.
We still have a way to go in order to say that we are at the same level as other schools nationally but we can definitely see a shift in attitudes; more children achieving 100%, more children above 97% and more children above 94%. We have also had a 5% reduction in persistent absenteeism (PA) which is where a child’s attendance falls below 90%.
Our current PA figure, whilst going in the right direction, is still far too high, currently hovering around the 20% mark. Last year we were around 25%. Both figures are quite scary as it means that there are around 160 children not attending school on a regular basis.
I am currently suffering probably the worst hay fever I have experienced in years: my eyes are streaming, nose is blocked one minute then running the next, my throat feels awful. I’d like to describe it as ‘man-flu’ but, in truth, it’s probably worse. I’m still in work. Sometimes everyone needs to be a little bit more resilient and a little bit more robust. Children don’t always need to be kept off for sniffles, coughs, sore throats. They are tougher than you might think.
The History department recently took 27 Year 10 students on a 3-day trip to Krakow in Poland.
The main purpose was to visit Auschwitz, in order to gain a better understanding of the Holocaust, by looking at what happened, why it happened and how blame should be apportioned. One of the highlights of the visit was the talk from a Holocaust survivor Monica. Her parents gave her to a Polish couple just before they were deported for Aushwitz - her mother had to fool the officials by wrapping a doll in a blanket to look like she still had her baby with her.
All students found the trip hugely rewarding, and coped well with the emotional stress that such a visit can cause. They also coped admirably with the extreme heat - 36c on day 1 - without so much as a single complaint.
Perhaps the highlight of the trip was the visit to the Unesco-listed world heritage Salt Mines, which are truly stunning. The picture below was taken 135 metres underground and the frescos on the wall are carved from salt.
Well done to all our Year 8 and Year 9 Sports Leaders. Once again they were a credit to the school and as you can see from the photos all enjoyed it just as much as the pupils from Woolton Primary School did. Their concentration, enthusiasm and focus on their roles was brilliant and we are very proud of each and every one of them.
A stand out performance from Holly Anderson who got so involved, excited and motivated her team to win the competition. Just goes to show how motivation can change a team, opportunities like this create memories forever and hopefully the girls will want to continue to be involved in events like this.
Gateacre School Cadets (CCF) completed a training week at warcop camp with adventure training, teamwork and collaboration skills, mountain biking, shooting range fire practice, and water sports. Contingent Commander Gateacre CCF tweeted:
Word Of The Week
Next week's word of the week (WOW) will be:
Gateacre School proudly presents
Our sensational production of Disney's Jungle Book (kids) has been a run away success this week; with fantastic performances, stunning scenery, amazing singing/dancing/music - culminating in a truly wonderful extravaganza of performing arts. All superbly choreographed and directed by our Drama Department and Music Department.
80 students from 3 primary schools (Norman Pannell, Woolton Primary and Belle Vale Primary) also performed live on stage with our students over the 3 nights.
Well done to all those involved and thanks for all your very hard work and great community collaboration.
Keep an eye on our social media feeds for the full story and pictures. We still have tonight's performance to go - enjoy! Here is just a taster...
Key Dates For Your Diary:
9th July: Art Exhibition 3:30pm - 5:30pm
16th July: Summer Concert 7pm
19th July: End of Term
15th Aug: 8-11am A level results
22nd Aug: 9-11am GCSE results
2nd & 3rd Sept: INSET
4th Sept: Start of Term
20th Sept: INSET / Y6 Taster Day for primary schools