- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
This is the penultimate Newsflash before the end of term and I would like to remind parents that at Gateacre School we teach and learn right up to the last minute in school, so rest assured that if your child tells you next week that it is all videos and board games, that will absolutely not be the case and we expect excellent attendance all next week until we finish on Friday 19th July at 12:00pm.
Last week I spoke to you about how much we have improved whole school attendance over the three years I have been Headteacher here at Gateacre. Although it may at times appear that I am constantly moaning about attendance being too low and we are not at same level as other schools nationally, I do think it is important to reinforce and remind parents and carers that in 2016 the school had an attendance figure of 89% and we are now very close to 93%.
The increase over that time scale is quite significant, but we can definitely do better. Your children, if not already attending over 95% of the time, absolutely can do; fewer holidays, shopping trips, Friday’s off school. Those three things alone would dramatically improve school attendance.
As you can see from the chart this week we have far too much amber and not enough green:
As we approach the summer holidays we will be reminding students how to ensure they stay safe online. You can support your child by having regular conversations about social media use and how to stay safe and seek support. You can use the online safety section of our school website and these other useful sites:
- Common Sense Media
- Google Family Link
- Vodaphone digital parenting
A group of year 7s and 8s visited the Al Rahma mosque and met the local imam. He spoke about the building and the community and challenged us to value diversity and try to respect and understand the things that make us different.
Year 7s Liverpool Sports Challenge day
Fifteen year 7 boys went to the Liverpool Sports Challenge Day and did really well competing against other schools' older year 8 groups. They were superb and a credit to themselves and the school. Many of the staff delivering activities commented on how polite and well mannered Gateacre boys were.
Pupil highlights - international champions
Well done to Nicole in Year 9 - competing for Great Britain at an International Gymnastics Competition for British Gymnastics.
Congratulations to Freya in Year 8 - representing England competing at the Dance World Cup World Finals in Portugal winning Gold, Silver and Bronze medals.
Staff vs Ex pupils charity football
As you may have seen via social media on Wednesday, friends of ex Gateacre student Kurt Sabatini organised a charity football match to raise funds for Cancer Research UK. Kurt is currently undergoing chemo-therapy for his condition.
Ex-pupils won the match 5-3 after a hard fought and competitive game. Special mention to Mr Copsey aka Lev Yashin for making a highlight reels worth of outstanding saves which spared the staff team from a severe score line. However youthful exuberance, fitness and quality ultimately overcame a staff side that, although had the support of a couple of ‘ringers’, were unable to weather the unrelenting storm.
A special thanks to Mr Danson whose VAR like controversial refereeing inspired heated touchline discussions with supporters on either side at every decision.
On a serious note, whilst the atmosphere was brilliant and it was a great game to watch, our thoughts and prayers are with Kurt and we wish him a speedy recovery.
A final thanks goes to Mrs Walker, Mrs Ward, 6th form students Reece and Harrison on clean up duties, current and ex 6th formers who did a great job of bringing the event together.
Our annual Art Exhibition was held on Tuesday, celebrating the achievements of our students and featuring work from each year group.
The quality of work of our students is simply outstanding and we are extremely proud to showcase the consistently high standard.
Thank you to all who visited the exhibition and to everyone involved for their hard work to make the evening a great success enjoyed by all.
A video showing some of the exhibition featured on our twitter feed is available from the link below
Word Of The Week next week is:
Key Dates For Your Diary:
16th July: Summer Concert 7pm
19th July: End of Term
15th Aug: 8-11am A level results
22nd Aug: 9-11am GCSE results
2nd & 3rd Sept: INSET
4th Sept: Start of Term
20th Sept: INSET / Y6 Taster Day for primary schools