- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/19
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Strange week for attendance this week as some year groups have performed exceptionally well however, there has been quite a lot of fluctuation; Year 8 as an example starting strongly with 94% but only managing 88% attendance on Thursday.
Year 11 remains a concern as we have approximately 70 school days left before GCSE exams start proper in May. Monday’s attendance at 93% was so pleasing as it means more of the year group are able to enjoy and benefit from the great teaching that happens day in day out here at Gateacre, comparing Monday to Wednesday when 84% of the Year 11 cohort were in. As a teacher, all we want is to give each and every child the tools to enable them to achieve their very best possible grade in their GCSE exams.
I would like to thank all of those parents who support us each and every day, we also acknowledge those children who may suffer with an ongoing health complaint such as asthma, we do appreciate how debilitating and frustrating this can be. This really is a plea to those parents and pupils who are possibly not being as honest about how ill/sick they are.
Some children talk to us about their anxiety and, this may sound harsh, but when it comes to Year 10 right through to Year 13 the anxiety related to the pressures of exams and course content is felt by everyone. Every pupil and student in those year groups will, at some point, feel anxious but the more time spent away from school will not help alleviate those symptoms.
National School Breakfast Programme
As you may have heard via BBC Radio Merseyside we have been selected to participate in the National School Breakfast Programme run in conjunction with Magic Breakfast and Department for Education. 1775 schools across the country have been given a grant from £26 million made available via the ‘Sugar Tax’ to help give children the best start in the morning.
We are opening our doors from 07:30am each week day and providing children that wish to attend a choice of bagels, cereal or porridge.
If you are reading this and you happen to work for a company or companies that has access to low fat spreads, diabetic friendly jams or any low/no sugar bread or bagel toppings and could donate this free would we love to hear from you and also help promote the work that you do.
Read more about what we're doing here: Magic Breakfast
Year 11 Revision Sessions before/after school timetable
Year 11 students are encouraged to attend weekly revision sessions leading up to their exams which are available before and after school. Parents please see the timetable of available revision sessions below and share with your child.
Y12 Work Experience
Our Year 12 students enjoyed a week of work experience this week, through placements in many different companies and work sectors including: American Airlines, Primary Schools, Sports Colleges, Journalism and the Retail business sector. It's great to hear how well our #Gateacre6thForm students are doing on their #workexperience this week. Well done to all our students out on placement, gaining valuable employability skills for their future careers. More about this will follow in a full article to be published on our website next week.
Our roving reporter on the scene, Ethan Beigan Y12, enjoyed a journalism placement as part of his work experience week and contributed some insight from the students' perspective in a news report article below:
The main aim of providing work experience for our students was to try and help them achieve valuable employability skills for their futures in the workplace after they leave Gateacre. We hope that this week has given our students the incentive to strive towards their dream job.
A few of our students have told us what they thought about their enjoyable experiences:
- “I really enjoyed my work experience, it’s given me valuable life experiences that I can take into my future job roles.”
- “I believe that my experience has given me improved communication skills. I believe that this will help me in future to listen well to my colleagues and customers.”
- “It’s been beneficial to me as I’ve gained clear communication skills and now know how to show a professional manner in a work place. I also now know how to present myself in a professional way.”
With us giving our students work experience now, we believe that it will give them a head start when they are applying for a job. It will also give them a better chance of getting accepted onto a university course, if they choose to further their education.
News Story courtesy credit to Ethan Beigan, Y12
Word Of The Week
Every week, as part of our literacy focus in school, to improve vocabulary and understanding, we feature a new word of the week. Parents can engage with this and help by using it at home and encouraging your child to use it within context. Next week's word of the week is:
The Gateacre Word
We are launching our new magazine this week which you can open below and will also be available in our main reception.
Sixth Form Open Evening 28th February 4pm - 6pm
Dates for Your Diary:
14th January 2019: Y13 Mocks commence
14th January 2019: Y12 Work Experience
31st January 2019: Sixth Form Parents Evening 3:45pm - 6pm
31st January 2019: Y9 Options Evening
18th February 2019: Half Term
28th February 2019: SIXTH FORM OPEN EVENING 4PM - 6PM