- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Disadvantaged Students
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- School closure update and information
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Headteacher's Newsletter 23/09/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsletter 30/09/2019
- Newsletter 07/10/2019
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsletter 14/10/2019
- Newsletter 21/10/19
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsletter 04/11/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsletter 11/11/19
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsletter 18/11/19
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsletter 25/11/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsletter 3rd December 2019
- Newsletter 9/12/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsletter 16/12/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsletter 6th January 2020
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsletter 13th January 2020
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsletter 20/01/20
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsletter 27.01.2020
- Newsletter 3/2/2020
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsletter 10/02/2020
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsletter 24/02/2020
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsletter 02/03/2020
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsletter 09/03/2020
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Coronavirus schools update
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Coronavirus schools update
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- Blood Brothers
- We are the champions!
- Girls Football update
- Ghost Hunting with Yvette Fielding
- Project Phosela
- Ghost Hunting with Archie, Yvette and Watson
- Peace Out
- Basketball update
- Cyber Champions
- Another Place
- BIG Little Library Christmas Book Flood
- Drama at The Basement
- Christmas Comedy Cracker
- Community Christmas Lunch
- Carol Concert
- Girls in STEM
- Strauss and Stravinsky
- Blood Brothers Workshop
- FREE online course for parents, carers and grandparents
- Coming Soon! Bands Night
- City indoor athletics competition
- A sporting update
- Work Experience
- Barcelona 2020
- Wonderful words from the Whitechapel
- Medicine in Space
- British Sign Language lessons
- What a week for Reading!
- Ich bin ein Berliner
- How to Wash Your Hands
- GCSE Pod
- Social distancing at the school gates
- Calling all Year 6
- A message from Maria Eagle MP
- Free School Meals
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- Archive Newsflash
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
Dear Parents and Carers,
This will be my last formal Newsflash as Headteacher of Gateacre School and I would like to take this opportunity to say a few words. I came to Gateacre in September 2016 when the school was in Special Measures, facing a forced Academy Order with a host of issues around peoples’ attitudes towards the school.
What I found when I arrived was a staff body who cared deeply and passionately about children and they universally wanted all the pupils to excel. As I leave, I believe this is felt even stronger than ever, as I have been supported to improve the school by a highly skilled and professionally caring Senior Team and teachers in all subjects across the school.
It has been my privilege and honour to serve both the children and you at Gateacre School these past three years and I am incredibly proud of everything we have accomplished together; out of Special Measures in 44 weeks, Ofsted ‘Good’ for 6th Form, top 10% nationally for value added in 6th Form, School of the Year, Team of Year, Leadership Team of Year, School in the Community Award, Communication Award, Regional and National STEM Champions, National Citizenship Service Award, top performing school in Liverpool for A Level Progress two years running, Liverpool Numeracy Quality Mark, National Quality in Careers Standard, National Education Data Matters Award for Post 16 outcomes, Unilever Bright Futures Award. The list goes on and on. None of which would have been possible without all of us working together as ‘Team Gateacre’.
The Governing Body, supported by staff and pupils, spent two days this week interviewing prospective candidates for the Headteacher position ready for September and I am pleased to announce that a magnificent appointment has been made who will no doubt take your child’s school on to even better things. Further details on this can be found below.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my three years leading this school and, whilst I am sad to leave, I believe that the school is destined to achieve great things in the future. My last official duties will be on A Level and GCSE results days in August, celebrating and supporting with our wonderful hard working children - I’m already nervous!
Finally, I want to give my sincere thanks to all parents and carers for enabling me to do my job better than I ever expected.
Mr J Roberts
Message from the Governing Body: Letter to Parents from the Governing Body July 2019.pdf
It would not be a Newsflash without giving an attendance update!
Our final week has seen a dramatic, cliff like fall from mid-nineties towards the low-nineties and even eighties.
It is always frustrating that we are in effect in direct competition with holiday companies who push prices up so dramatically that parents see the trade off as having little impact on children educationally. I can only say that it is saddening that as a nation, and it is a national issue, we do not see the long term impact of decisions such as taking children out of school and how this leads to future cycles of the same behaviours when they become adults.
Parents often trivialise the end of term and justify their decision to go on holiday because we play games or watch DVDs. This is not the case at Gateacre. Each day this week in lessons the content has been focused and academically demanding, challenging our wonderful young people to think deeply about the subjects they are learning about.
On a more positive note, we have seen the whole school, whole year attendance percentage increase for the third year running which is something as a community we should be rightly proud of and celebrate. Things at Gateacre are improving at a significant pace, but we could do it even faster if even more pupils had even better attendance more of the time.
Standards & Expectations – A polite reminder for September 2019
We had a School Improvement Liverpool inspection some months ago and, over the course of the day, one of the inspection activities was to talk to pupils about how they thought the school has got better over time. Having been involved in supporting schools in other authorities, you can generally get a good idea about how a school operates from what children tell you, they tend not to hold back.
A comment that made me stop and think was when a pupil who sat in the meeting with the Inspector was asked:
“how has your school got better?”
their response; “We wear our uniform with pride now”.
That meant a lot, we are strict on the very basic things, they do matter, everyone can get our uniform right and we are proud of pupils who wear it.
A reminder of what is and isn’t allowed with images and a uniform guide to download can be found here or use this web address https://www.gateacre.org/school-life/uniform-what-is-and-isnt-allowed-2/.
On this page we also have pictures of acceptable footwear, which we have for your ease circled the most common styles in green when you go shopping for school uniform towards the end of the summer break. A lot of shops will try to sell you expensive ‘school shoes’ which are actually trainers, PLEASE DO NOT BE TAKEN IN. If you have a smart phone that can access the internet all you need do is open up the web page with images of acceptable footwear and ask for styles that match the images.
We have tried to make buying uniform for your child as easy, cheap and stress-free as we possibly can. Long gone are those days when children were making you as parents feel guilty if you wouldn’t buy them £100 shoes. How utterly ridiculous! No child needs to have a pair of shoes that costs more than the weekly shop. Our school uniform is smart, functional and affordable, as it should be and as I hope it will stay.
Secondary School Of The Year
Gateacre is Secondary School Of The Year 2019!
Headteacher Jason Roberts pictured below with Echo Schools Award sponsors Excell who presented the award at the Liverpool Echo Schools Awards Ceremony in June. We are proud to have won the Secondary School Of The Year 2019 award which is fitting recognition and reflection of all the hard work of staff, pupils, parents and the community ....it takes a village.
Humanutopia Heroes - Leaders' National Summit in London
Four of our motivational Sixth Formers (Megan, Jack, Reece and Harrison) were invited to London this week as VIP guest speakers in their capacity as Humanutopia Lead Heroes, to deliver an inspirational talk and presentation to other schools from across the country at a National Summit Conference. After the celebration awards and conference, our Heroes won an additional £100 of funding for their next community project after successfully delivering a pitch idea to a Dragons Den panel in the afternoon.
The day was rounded off with a visit to Spitalfields Market during the filming of The Apprentice and time for a spot of sight seeing, cultural pursuits and unintentional map reading transportation navigating skills through the city of London.
It was a thoroughly great day of inspiration and celebration enjoyed by all.
A video filmed at the start of their 3 year journey explains the concept of the programme and encapsulates what our Heroes do for the pupils of this school and the local community as well as the impact they have had with anti-bullying; motivational workshops; wellbeing and mental health.
Year 8 Reward Trip
Form 8.1 won the Behaviour Reward in Year 8. They picked up the least behaviour points throughout the year and for their reward they chose to go Go-Karting for the morning. To say they loved it was an understatement……
Key Dates For Your Diary:
15th Aug: 8-11am A level results
22nd Aug: 9-11am GCSE results
2nd & 3rd Sept: INSET
4th Sept: Start of Term (staggered start times by year group)
20th Sept: INSET / Y6 Taster Day for primary schools