- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- Archive Newsflash
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
We had a wonderful week reading with pupils across all year groups and, together, we have raised a staggering £2,195. Quite unbelievable. We think we might be the best fundraising school in Liverpool, however, we are waiting on an official summary. As to whether we are top, middle or bottom, we are really proud of what our pupils, parents and carers have helped us achieve. We are a very lucky school. Read more here: we rocked Readathon
Attendance Autumn Term vs 2017 and 2016 – Are we getting better?
In short, yes we are, but we still have some way to go before we are at the same level as other schools nationally. Good attendance is anything above 97%, we are some way off that hence why we continue to drive the messages home about how every single day matters.
As you can see in the graph over the past 3 years there has been a significant upward trend in attendance levels, the blue line is the current academic year, the orange line is last year and the grey line is 2016/17. We still need you as parents and carers to do your bit and send your child to school each and every day.
Attendance matters – Christmas week
Christmas week in schools always seems to be a little less well attended than other weeks, however again whilst we are still not at the desired 97% or even the national average of around 94%-95% we are considerably better than last year looking at Whole School vs Whole School 2017 columns.
The Basement Advisory Centre
Homeless Charity the-basement.org.uk
On Tuesday Year 8 students visited The Basement homeless shelter (following an assembly delivered by one of the charity's representatives) to deliver food and blankets and the many items the year group have been collecting this term during their Drama lessons. And yesterday we delivered food hampers to the Trussell Trust Food Bank, which works within the South Liverpool and Netherley areas. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to donate items and their time over the last few months, it is very much appreciated.
Whether it is the start of terms, Christmas or the last day before the summer holidays our uniform standards and expectations are the same. I would like to remind all parents and carers that you can find the ‘what is and what is not’ allowed uniform list here: https://www.gateacre.org/school-life/uniform-what-is-and-isnt-allowed-2/
This list also has pictures of acceptable footwear and we have identified with a green circle the most popular styles for both boys and girls.
This past week parents have asked if it is acceptable for girls to wear school trousers, so I would like to reinforce that yes it certainly is. Images of acceptable items of uniform including trousers for boys and girls are displayed on our website using the link above.
We have unfortunately had a couple of issues with pupils wearing false nails and nose piercings, I must stress that we always ask pupils politely to conform to the rules, however if there are persistent infractions then these are dealt with on an individual by individual basis. Ultimately all we ask is that all pupils follow the rules and when this is the case it makes everybody’s job so much easier we are after all a school our purpose is learning and education our pupils are not attending a fashion show.
Christmas Dinner with OAPs run by 6th Form Business students
This was a fantastic event, professionally run by our Year 12 and 13 Business Students. A roast dinner, dessert and an extremely competitive game of bingo was enjoyed by our esteemed guests. All profits will be donated to Marie Curie.
LFC Educational Visit
On Thursday 13th December some of our Y8 pupils enjoyed an educational visit to Liverpool Football Club, with a Stadium Tour of Anfield and the trophy museum thanks to the generosity of LFC's Charitable Foundation. The class also paid their respects at the Hillsborough Memorial and our students were truly moved by the experience.
In January, we will commence a process to appoint parent governors to the governing body, for which there are two vacancies.
Effective governing bodies require expertise and experience in analysing performance data, in budgeting and driving financial efficiency, and in performance management and employment issues. All governors need a strong commitment to the role and to improving outcomes for children, the inquisitiveness to question and analyse, and the willingness to learn. They need good inter-personal skills, appropriate levels of literacy in English and sufficient numeracy skills to understand data. Nominations would be particularly welcome from parents who are able to demonstrate these qualities.
The parent governor vacancies will be advertised on our website at the start of term in January, together with an application form, further information and guidance.
Christmas Carol Concert
We enjoyed a Christmas Concert spectacular on Tuesday. The Gateacre orchestra's rendition of "O Holy Night" along with impressive solo performances from GCSE Music students Gabrielle Brittles ("A Spaceman Came Travelling"), Caoimhe Quinn ("Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"), Amy Figueira with our year 7 backing singers ("Do You Hear What I Hear?"), Charley Brown-Eaton (a swinging "Santa Baby") and Georgia Johnson ("Underneath The Tree"). The concert concluded with the by now traditional sing-along finale Slade classic, "Merry Xmas Everybody". The audience thoroughly enjoyed another memorable Gateacre concert! We are immensely proud of our students' dedication, talent and professionalism. Thank you to all who took part. Read the full story
Quick review from January 2018 to December 2018
What a year it has been, here is a reminder of just a few of the things we have achieved together since 1st January 2018. A plethora of academic, community, group and individual achievements and we want to acknowledge that as our best supporters you have made this possible we are humbly proud to share our successes with you.
- Top of the DfE league table for Performance Measures: A level progress - Top performing school in Liverpool. Top 10% of schools and colleges in the UK for Vocational and Applied General results.
- Education Data Matters Winner - Post 16 Applied General Progress
- Educate Awards 2018 Winner – Leadership Team Of The Year
- DfE revoked the Academy Order due to the school's rapid improvement and progress
- Ofsted rated good for 16-19 provision
- Liverpool Counts Quality Mark (LCQM numeracy quality standard) Silver Award.
- Echo Awards Winner – Headteacher Of The Year
- Echo Awards North West – Arts & Performance Award
- Readathon final count: £2,195 raised
- Echo Awards Winner – School In The Community
- Primary Schools Liaison – Middlefield Primary School Xmas CD Charity album produced by our Music Dept
- National Citizen Service – Silver Status
- Xmas hampers delivered to struggling familes/elderly in the community
- STEM Awards. Y9 girls exhibited their STEM project to 7,000 visitors at the Big Bang Fair, won North West STEM Club Of The Year 2018, through to the National Big Bang Competition finals next March 2019, with Young Scientist & Young Engineer Of The Year Award 2019.
School starts back on Monday 7th January 2019 and doors will be open from 07:30am. We want all pupils in school ready to learn by 08:40am as lessons will commence at 08:45am.
Dates for Your Diary:
21st December: End Of Term 12 noon
7th January 2019: Spring Term Starts
10th January 2019: Y9 Parent Evening 3:45pm - 6pm
11th January 2019 Y11 Sport Science Exam
14th January 2019: Y13 Mocks commence
14th January 2019: Y12 Work Experience
31st January 2019: Sixth Form Parents Evening 3:45pm - 6pm
31st January 2019: Y9 Options Evening
18th February 2019: Half Term