- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- Archive Newsflash
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Welcome back to the Summer Term, I sincerely hope you had a great Easter. A shorter week upon our return with Monday being a Bank Holiday attendance has been slightly down with Year 7 and Year 11 being especially low.
However, Years 8, 9 and 10 have had some very well attended days which will stand them in good stead over time as the more time spent in school learning will ultimately pay off with better outcomes when they sit their GCSEs and A Levels in the future.
With only 11 weeks now until the end of the school year it would be wonderful to see how much we can improve next week. When we compare September to Easter this year with the same point last year we have improved the whole school attendance figure by 1.2% which doesn’t sound much but given that there are nearly 1000 pupils in the school who all contribute to the schools attendance figure this is an achievement that as a community we should be proud of.
We still have a way to go in order to be at the same level as other schools up and down the country, all that we need is for pupils to attend school on a more regular basis; take less holidays during term time and have fewer days off.
Year 11 GCSE countdown and A Level early opening
10 school days away from the first big GCSE exam, how quickly that time has gone!
On Tuesday 14th May Biology paper 1 for all Year 11 pupils begins at 1:30pm, last year myself and Mr Coulthard opened up the school at 06:45am for those who wanted to be in school early if it helped them prepare and feel less stressed or anxious. This year we are offering the same opportunity to both Year 11 and Year 13 sitting their GCSEs and A Levels throughout the exam period starting on Wednesday 15th May when the first AM exams begin.
We will also have the free breakfast options available from 07:00am and so that both Year 11 and Year 13 can get priority service at the canteen servery we have allocated Till 1 to be a fast-serve for these two year groups only. Every little helps.
Duke of Edinburgh
Well done to Mr McCallan and the Year 10 boys who braved some wet weather to complete their DofE Bronze Award activities which included several miles of navigating and an overnight camp on Thursday.
High expectations in and out of school
Yesterday morning I was asked to go to a shop in Belle Vale to look at some CCTV footage of 4 Gateacre pupils behaving in a poor manner. The whole saga was very embarrassing as over the past three years we have all worked exceptionally hard to improve behaviour both in and out of school. So, to see 3 girls from Year 8 and 1 boy from Year 7 acting in a very silly manner in one of the shops was disappointing.
I want to take this opportunity to both reinforce our message that we expect our pupils to be polite and well-mannered inside and outside of school. I’d also like to reassure parents and our community that, when things happen that do not meet our high standards, we are not afraid to take action and say “No, that is not acceptable”.
TES Awards 2019
Gateacre School has been shortlisted to receive a prestigious TES Award for Community and Collaboration
"The most outstanding individuals and institutions that the education sector has to offer have been recognised in the shortlist for the TES Schools Awards 2019."
"It is wonderful to see such great ideas and excellent practice emerging from our schools and teachers, especially at a time when schools are under financial pressure. We had a record number of entries this year and the standard was very high, so all those shortlisted should be very proud: it’s an extraordinary achievement to be on this shortlist." Tes Editor, Ann Mroz
Winners will be revealed at a gala awards evening in London on 21 June 2019.
Dates for Your Diary:
27th - 31st May: Half Term
2nd July: Jungle Book the show
4th July: Y10 Parents Evening 3:45pm - 6pm
9th July: Art Exhibition
16th July: Summer Concert 7pm
19th July: End of Term