- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Headteacher's Newsletter 23/09/2019
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsletter 30/09/2019
- Newsletter 07/10/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsletter 14/10/2019
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- Archive Newsflash
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Review Of Open Evening Wednesday 26th September
Thank you to all of those parents who came to visit us from Primary schools across Liverpool and Knowsley on Wednesday evening.
I thoroughly enjoyed talking to you all, both in the Theatre and in our Atrium. It was also nice to find out that many of you currently have children in Years 4 and 5 and simply wanted to look at your secondary school options when it comes time to choose.
Obviously, I sincerely hope that you choose us. Wednesday gave my staff, pupils and current parents the opportunity to give you an honest insight into life at Gateacre School. In truth, though you have so many choices in Liverpool, it would be remiss of me not to remind you of that, but I think what we offer is very special and, if you were fortunate enough to hear our 6th Form students talk passionately about their education and future ambitions, I would very much like to hope you would agree.
If you are reading this as either a Year 6 parent or a current parent who knows of families who wanted to visit but could not, we are open any time for visits. I do like to encourage people to come and see us in action. We are a friendly community, passionate about giving a quality education to all of our fantastic pupils and we very much want to demystify what schools are like.
I said in the final part of my speech on Wednesday how very proud I am of all my pupils and how fortunate I am to have such supportive and wonderful parents, it would be nice to have you become part of our future.
Standards And Expectations – Attendance
This message is not going away.
We are currently averaging just over 94% for the first three weeks - a very, very slight improvement on last year at the same time. Unfortunately, I am still not happy. Why aren’t we higher? Is a question I ask my staff. Have you been on home visits?
Every day lost is a gap in education that is difficult to fill.
We have an aspiration that all pupils will eventually attend over 97%. We very much want every pupil in every day for 190 days. As parents and carers you are critical in supporting us with this goal.
That is where we need your support as parents and carers, discussing with your child how important attending school is and equally how important trying to achieve your personal best is also.
Year 11 Information Evening
Tuesday 9th October 2018 5pm - 6pm
The evening will begin at 5pm prompt with an introductory talk from myself, leaders from English, maths and science will then discuss key components of their courses to give you an understanding of what is required from your child over what will be the final 27 weeks or 135 school days. We expect to finish by approximately 6pm, however, your child’s individual success is far too important for me to set a time limit on, so staff will also be available for you to talk to at the end of the presentation should you need to.
We think this year group in particular is going to do something incredibly wonderful. We have set up Year 11 this current academic year so that it benefits equally from exceptional pastoral care as well as first class academic support.
Year 11 And Year 13 Countdown
You have 28 school weeks and 140 school days left as of Monday 1st October.
GCSE students try looking at the following things; GCSE Bitesize revision on the BBC website, Corbett Maths https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse/. Shall we plug GCSE Pod again? I think we should. It is free to use, it is fantastic and if you are not using it yet you should be because lots of your friends are.
A Level and Applied students: Have you read over and organised your notes from the start of September? Last week, I spoke about how the cognition aspect of retrieval strength is proportional to the opportunities you give your brain to establish, affirm and strengthen memory – or, in the case of course knowledge - what did you learn, can you remember it?
Exam success is not about luck. Those Year 11s and Year 13s who got better grades than they were expecting did so because they worked really hard. They wanted to do well. There is nothing wrong with being successful.
World Championships Kickboxing Success
We are proud to congratulate our students who represented England to compete in the 2018 International Sport Kickboxing Association World Championships (ISKA) in Jamaica this month: Nidal Alkanshali Year 13, Kahmeal Smith Year 11 won the Gold Medal with their England team and each brought back an amazing Silver Medal for their own individual events. Shea Patton is currently competing in the World Karate & Kickboxing Council Grand Championships in Portugal and has got through to the final in the World Championships. Well done to our boys for their world class talent.
Gateacre School Community Fair
Last Saturday we held our Community Fair and family fun day which was a fantastic success and thank you to all those who came and joined in the fun. We had a great day with a host of activities as well as local arts & crafts vendors, local artisans, chocolates and confectionery, cake and cuisine stalls, health & wellbeing stalls, community groups as well as our own staff and students. It was a fun packed day! If you were unable to make it here is a short video extract from some of the day's highlights.
Dates for Your Diary:
Year 11 Information Evening: Tuesday 9th October 5-6pm
Half Term: 22nd to 26th October
Y11 Mock Exams commence 12th November
Y11 Mock Results: Friday 30th November
INSET Day: 3rd December
Y11 Parent Evening: 6th December
End Of Term: 21st December