- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Disadvantaged Students
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- School reopening updates and information
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Headteacher's Newsletter 23/09/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsletter 30/09/2019
- Newsletter 07/10/2019
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsletter 14/10/2019
- Newsletter 21/10/19
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsletter 04/11/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsletter 11/11/19
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsletter 18/11/19
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsletter 25/11/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsletter 3rd December 2019
- Newsletter 9/12/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsletter 16/12/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsletter 6th January 2020
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsletter 13th January 2020
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsletter 20/01/20
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsletter 27.01.2020
- Newsletter 3/2/2020
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsletter 10/02/2020
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsletter 24/02/2020
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsletter 02/03/2020
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsletter 09/03/2020
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Coronavirus schools update
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Coronavirus schools update
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- Blood Brothers
- We are the champions!
- Girls Football update
- Ghost Hunting with Yvette Fielding
- Project Phosela
- Ghost Hunting with Archie, Yvette and Watson
- Peace Out
- Basketball update
- Cyber Champions
- Another Place
- BIG Little Library Christmas Book Flood
- Drama at The Basement
- Christmas Comedy Cracker
- Community Christmas Lunch
- Carol Concert
- Girls in STEM
- Strauss and Stravinsky
- Blood Brothers Workshop
- FREE online course for parents, carers and grandparents
- Coming Soon! Bands Night
- City indoor athletics competition
- A sporting update
- Work Experience
- Barcelona 2020
- Wonderful words from the Whitechapel
- Medicine in Space
- British Sign Language lessons
- What a week for Reading!
- Ich bin ein Berliner
- How to Wash Your Hands
- GCSE Pod
- Social distancing at the school gates
- Calling all Year 6
- A message from Maria Eagle MP
- Free School Meals
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- Archive Newsflash
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Dear Parents and Carers
Welcome to the final newsletter of the first half of the Spring Half Term. As the wind and rain increases and the storms cause damage to various parts of our country I am left reflecting on what was a wonderful week last week was in many different ways.
Bands Night - Industry Day
Last Thursday saw Industry Day: a day where students worked with an outside company, Adlib, in order that they may understand all that is involved in live sound and lighting engineering along with the production skills necessary to stage a rock concert. From the budgeting aspects, to catering, to the hands on sound and light checks, Gateacre students got a first-hand understanding of what this part of the entertainment industry has to offer.
This hard work culminated in the fantastic display from students of differing ages performing together, live, in a variety of bands, supported by students controlling the sound and lights in what was a superb evening. Our thanks go to Andy Dockerty from Adlib (a former Gateacre student) who gave up a day of his time and thousands of pounds worth of equipment to support our students interested in this line of business. Well done to all those students who took part.
Last week also saw GCSE geography students visit Southport where they studied a variety of fieldwork tasks, including land use, which gave them first-hand experience of topics questioned in their written GCSE examinations.
This, as always, links to what this week has to offer. Tuesday 11th February, Gateacre School hosts its first Careers Fair of the academic year. As part of the Careers package provided by the school, students are given the opportunity to review the huge variety of jobs that are now available both in this country and abroad. This is followed by Careers Day on Wednesday 12th February where students are given the opportunity to meet with employers, both local and national, enabling them to get a first-hand understanding of what certain careers involve, through ‘meet and greet’ opportunities, discussions and Q&A sessions. All these will provide our students with a hands on understanding of what the ‘world of work’ involves.
Year 10 trip to Barcelona.
Departing this Friday, the trip offers Y10 students a wonderful opportunity to immerse themselves in the city of Barcelona, speak the language and understand a little better the culture of the Catalonian people. They will return to this country around 18:00 hours on Monday 17th February.
GCSE Exam Countdown
A number of these events link back to GCSE studies. With one week before half term and only 50 school days remaining until the first written external examination begins, it is now vitally important that Year 11 students have begun preparing for these examinations. From the recent lessons observations I have carried out it is clear that an increasing number of Year 11 students are nearing the end of the taught part of their course. This means that many of them will be receiving past papers as part of their homework and as part of their revision.
We ask that parents of Y11 students please ensure you encourage your child to work hard completing these so that they are able to receive the appropriate feedback that will enable them to improve further.
Half Term is a perfect time for Year 11 students to balance both a relaxing break from school with family whilst spending some of their time revising for GCSE examinations.
Monday 11th May 2020 GCSE written examinations begin.
Another highlight of last week was the weekly attendance. For the first time that I can remember, the attendance on Friday did not decrease; Friday’s attendance was in fact better than Thursday. Last week’s attendance can be seen in the graph below:
It is essential that all students consistently complete a full week in school, every week. There is no reason why Friday should be seen as a day out of school and at home.
1 day a week missed schooling equals 2 months a year lost in education.
In school. On time. Every day.
Creative Writing Competition
We are delighted to announce a new annual creative writing competition, the Carole Weston Kyewski Creative Writing Competition, open to all Gateacre School students. News of this exciting competition was shared with students last week and entries are now open until the closing date of March 9th.
Carole Weston Kyewski grew up in Netherley but moved to California to start a new life. She had an exhuberant passion for life and a great love of writing. Sadly, Carole recently passed away in autumn 2019. To extend her legacy by inspiring other young people to be creative and courageous and expand their view of what their world could be, and to give back to the community in which she grew up, Carole's husband, Ron has very generously set up an annual creative writing competition for Gateacre School students with an amazing total prize fund of £1,000. For full details about the competition and more about Carole ....READ MORE
Key Dates For Your Diary 2020:
Year 10 & 13 Playhouse Trip Thursday 13th February 6:30pm
Year 10 Barcelona Trip Friday 14th February 2020
HALF TERM Monday 17th-21st February
School Re-opens Monday 24th February
Sixth Form Open Evening Thursday 27th February 4-6pm
Key Stage 3 Parents Meeting 6pm Thursday 27th February 6pm
Year 8 Parent Evening Thursday 26th March 3:30-6pm
Year 7 Parent Evening Thursday 2nd April 3:30pm-6pm
End of Term Friday 3rd April
Department for Education
Coronavirus – Advice for parents/guardians
You should not be unduly worried about the possibility of your children catching the Coronavirus.
There is no reason why your children should not continue to attend their early years, school or further education setting as normal.
We recognise that some families or children may be planning to travel to China during the forthcoming half term period. If so, please refer to the FCO’s latest travel advice via the link above.
What action you can take
A UK wide campaign has been launched to provide clear advice on how to slow the spread of Coronavirus.
Please help to support the campaign which promotes basic hygiene practices, such as regularly washing hands and always sneezing into a tissue, to stem the spread of viruses.
You can do this by:
Displaying this poster in relevant public spaces: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5e35b25740f0b609169cb52a/coronavirus-public-info-poster-2.pdf
Sharing DHSC content from the following social media links: