- Art, Food & Technology
- Physical Education
- Religious Studies
- Science Faculty
- Social Sciences
- RESPECT - Personal Development Programme
- Teaching & Learning
- Supporting your Child
- Raising Aspirations
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Extra Curricular Activities
FAQs in regards to Peripatetic lessons
ARE MY INSTRUMENTAL LESSONS SAFE?
Please rest assured that the Music Department is taking safety extremely seriously.
Instrumental lessons will now involve the following:
- Our small practice rooms will be out of bounds. Instrumental teachers will only teach in rooms with ventilation which are easily big enough to ensure social distancing.
- There will be sanitising facilities in every room, and students will be asked to use these on entering and leaving the room.
- Lessons will finish a few minutes early in order for the teacher to ensure that the room is safe for the next student. Although this will mean a slightly shorter lesson in most cases, I’m sure that you will understand the reasons for this.
- There will be no sharing of instruments or any other resources between students whatsoever.
I’M CONCERNED ABOUT MY CHILD MISSING MATHS/ENGLISH FOR THEIR MUSIC LESSON
Instrumental lessons are on a rota system, wherever possible.
However, Music has so many other positive outcomes for students. Research has repeatedly shown that learning to play an instrument and participating in musical ensembles significantly improves outcomes inacademic subjects such as English and Maths. It also greatly contributes to the social development and confidence of young people. In short, children who learn instruments are happier, socialise better and achieve improved exam results in school.
HOW MUCH DO LESSONS COST?
Music is an extremely valued part of Gateacre School’s life, and lessons are very heavily subsidised. Indeed, many schools across England offer either no or little subsidy to their students. In practice, this means that prices elsewhere are typically around £15 per lesson.
Lessons are available on the following instruments, but please note there may be waiting lists as we have to give priority to students who have taken GCSE or A level:
Violin Flute Clarinet Saxophone Trumpet Piano Voice Guitar Bass guitar Drums
Charges for this academic year are as follows:
- KS3 students: £50 per term (approx. £5 per lesson)
- KS3 students (FSM): £20 per term (approx. £2 per lesson)
- Students studying Music as an option for either GCSE or A level – is free.
WHAT EXTRA-CURRICULAR OPPORTUNITIES ARE AVAILABLE?
- Under ‘normal’ circumstances the department is a thriving musical hub, with students and bands playing before school, after school and at lunchtimes. All students are welcome to use our equipment.
- There is an orchestra, and various ensembles such as samba band, brass & string group, choirs etc. We will set up groups based on the needs and strengths of our current students
- We have bands that rehearse
- Performance opportunities include: Summer concert; Christmas concert; Musical show; Bands night; exam performance evenings and music for the Art exhibition
We produced a Virtual Summer Concert in July and will do similar for our Christmas concert. As soon as Covid guidance allows us to rehearse and perform ‘in the flesh’ we will do so!