- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
Over the course of this week attendance across the school has shot up, in part because of the class assessments taking place across most year groups.
The average attendance across the week has been between 93% to 94% which is still some way short of being above 95% and shows that we have some work to do in order to ensure good attendance across all year groups each and every day.
We have managed to source some funds in order to help increase attendance further, especially in the final 9 days, whereby one lucky pupil in each year group will win a high value voucher for Liverpool One shopping centre. In order to win, you have to be in.
Should the bus strikes continue next week we have, at great expense to ourselves, sourced some minibuses to help those who live in the Speke area get to school. I would like to thank those parents who used this facility earlier this week.
I would like to point out and make it clear that parents and carers need to understand that return journeys at home time are going to be delayed due to traffic conditions (schools, businesses finishing between 3:30 – 4:30) so your child may have to sit and wait in the atrium. However, it is an ideal opportunity to complete any homework.
We are, like you, hoping that the bus strike situation is resolved and that there will be no need to use the mini buses however, if we do then the system will run as it did before and you will need to sign your child up in the same way as you did previously.
Our Year 7 Girls Netball Team secured a brilliant 6-1 victory win in their recent match against Hollylodge. Well done team!
Christmas Closure – Thursday 21st December
In a previous Newsflash I asked that you do not take your child out for a Christmas shopping day or indulge in a day simply because it is December.
We close for the Christmas break at 1:05pm on Thursday 21st December, meaning that Friday 22nd is available all day for any final Christmas preparations you wish to make with your family. Also, there are still three weekends between now and Christmas Day which, again, is plenty of time to shop for clothes or any of the other items you or your family needs to enjoy the festive break.
We return to school on Monday 8th January, our doors will be open from 7am to welcome the usual early birds who attend breakfast club with myself, Mr Coulthard and our kitchen staff; Sarah-Jane and Carol who are generally our two early morning servers preparing food for your children. We expect all pupils to be in by 8.40am ready for lessons starting at 8.45am.
So to be clear, Autumn term finishes on Thursday 21st December at 1.05pm, we return on Monday 8th January 2018 with all pupils being in the building ready to learn by 8.40am
Often, over Christmas, it is a time to provide children with new bits of uniform, knitwear uniform and winter sports kit outerwear items ready for the New Year so, in advance of that, I would like to remind pupils and parents about uniform expectations communicated since last November and each half term since then.
You can find the link to the uniform expectations here: https://www.gateacre.org/school-life/uniform-what-is-and-isnt-allowed-2/
You can purchase new Gateacre School uniform items and PE kit online here: https://www.swidtp.co.uk/
Alternatively, John Lewis are currently offering some Gateacre School uniform clearance stock on sale at reduced prices.
Gateacre Heroes Helping The Homeless
In their latest project, our Year 11 Heroes have been involved with International Volunteer Day and successfully managed to collect a huge amount of items to make ‘Winter Warmer’ bags for the homeless of Liverpool. Heroes have advertised and collaborated with the local community to make bags of: gloves, hats, scarves, shoes and coats to gift to those in need in Liverpool, in collaboration with the Papercup Project, who are very grateful for the support and endeavours of Gateacre Heroes.
Read more on the full news story here....https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/news/heroes-helping-the-homeless/ Safeguarding Update – social media/apps/sexting
Safeguarding Update – social media/apps/sexting
With smartphones, tablets becoming increasingly common please do familiarise yourself with our handy safeguarding area on the website to give you a bit of knowledge about what is currently happening in the online world. Our E-Safety advice for parents can be found on our website here: https://www.gateacre.org/school-life/esafety-advice-for-parents/
Unfortunately, there are a number of apps available to download that are from spurious sources whereby people can access phone/computer/tablet cameras without the owner realising.
We regularly remind parents and everyone in school, both children and adults, about Child Sexual Exploitation issues and the dangers of Sexting.
I deliberately use the term children, as under English Law you are a child until you reach the age of 18.
Some people view Sexting as harmless, but creating or sharing explicit images of a child is illegal, even if the person doing it is a child.
A young person is breaking the law if they:
• take an explicit photo or video of themselves or a friend
• share an explicit image or video of a child, even if it’s shared between children of the same age
• possess, download or store an explicit image or video of a child, even if the child gave their permission for it to be created.
The NSPCC provide very helpful information about what is sexting, how to talk to children about the risks of sexting and what you can do to protect them here: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/sexting/
Childline provide advice and help for children regards Sexting here: https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/bullying-abuse-safety/online-mobile-safety/sexting/
Personal Property - High Value Items
Parents love to indulge and spoil their children, I am no different. Please do remember though that very high value gifts such as the latest smart phone (iphone X, iphone 8, google pixel 2) whilst very much sort after, are not the school’s responsibility.
Lost, stolen, damaged phones, coats, bags, trainers etc are not and never have been the responsibility of schools to replace. Ever.
Your child’s belongings are theirs to manage. We advise that very valuable items are not brought into school.
Forthcoming Dates for Your Diary:
14th December - 6th Form Parent Evening 3:45 - 6pm
19th December - Carol Concert 7pm
21st December - End of Autumn Term
8th January 2018 - Start of Spring Term
8th February 2018 - Y11 Parents Evening
12th - 16th February 2018 - Half Term
22nd February 2018 - Y8 Parents Evening 3:45 - 6pm
22nd February 2018 - Y9 Options Information for Parents 6:30pm
1st March 2018 - SIXTH FORM OPEN EVENING
Term Dates and Key Dates can be found on your MyEd parent app or on the school website here: https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/term-dates/