- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
Winners! Educate Awards 2017
We were delighted to be announced Winner of the Communication Award at last Friday's prestigious Educate Awards 2017. It was a spectacular evening with nearly 600 guests gathered for the prestigious Educate Awards ceremony held at the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, hosted by broadcaster Simon ‘Rossie’ Ross.
The Educate Awards, founded in 2010 is an annual event where the excellence of schools in Merseyside, Cheshire and Lancashire is celebrated and rewarded. Gateacre School was also shortlisted for two more awards: Spirit of Enterprise and Outstanding Commitment to Sport.
Judges’ comments: “The school has placed a strong emphasis on communication through all channels, reaching parents in every which way possible including a weekly news flash. The app is a truly powerful but also useful medium for parental engagement with the school.”
Jack Maynard – I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! - Online profile
For those of you like me that enjoy sitting back and watching people with spurious celebrity status be covered in bugs and biting things, you will already know about the ITV programme I’m a Celebrity…
This week a young man, vlogger Jack Maynard, was asked to leave the show due to historic tweets where he has used inappropriate language to some of his friends.
Clearly, behaviours online are increasingly becoming part of how people are judged “in the real world” and what happens online does not often stay there. For example, when we recruit new teachers I often do a google search or do a social media search to see what kind of person they are away from being in the work place because they are going to be in a position of responsibility. This has happened here with Jack this week.
More and more employers are increasingly using internet search engines to find out about freely available information on prospective employees. Your children in a few years’ time will be applying for jobs and their future employers will be searching for their online profiles.
Do you know what your children are posting on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat? If you do know, are you happy about what they are doing/saying? Are you happy with their presentation of themselves to the outside world?
Recently, TV chef Jamie Oliver spoke about his own daughter's use of social media in relation to being shown ‘selfies’ posted by his daughter's friends. His words as a parent were “frightening” - as a parent myself and a Headteacher, I share his worries and concerns.
All schools are having to become much more internet savvy and we are all dealing with the fall out of when children’s social media usage goes wrong.
If you do not know what your child is doing, posting or saying online I would strongly advise you find out. Ultimately, a questionable social media history could prevent them being asked to interview for a top job or even removed from some future reality TV show.
Gateacre Heroes Helping The Homeless
Our year 11 student leaders are on a mission to help the homeless in Liverpool this winter. Our leaders (called Heroes) are working with Humanutopia and their International Volunteer Day on Tuesday 5th December 2017. They are putting together ‘Winter Warmer’ bags containing a coat, hat, gloves & scarf. Donations can be taken to Gateacre School Big Little Library in Belle-Vale Shopping Centre or your child can bring it to the Student Leaders’ Office in school. All donations are needed by Thursday 30th November. Second hand (clean) items are welcome.
Further details about this, our student leaders and Humanutopia can be found on http://www.humanutopia.com/international-Volunteer-day/
This year's Drama Showcase will feature short performances of monologues, duologues and group pieces, displays in the atrium and the Music department are kindly providing music before the performance and during the interval. Students are from all year groups, and it will be a lovely night of celebration. Tickets are £2 and will be available from the Drama Dept and main reception from Thursday 23rd November.
Forthcoming Dates for Your Diary:
1st December - Y11 Mock Exam Results 3:15pm
7th December - Drama Showcase Event 6pm
14th December - 6th Form Parent Evening 3:45 - 6pm
19th December - Carol Concert 7pm
21st December - End of Autumn Term
8th January 2018 - Start of Spring Term
12th - 16th February 2018 - Half Term
1st March 2018 - SIXTH FORM OPEN EVENING
Term Dates and Key Dates can be found on your MyEd parent app or on the school website here: https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/term-dates/