- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/19
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
GCSE, A Level & Vocational Top Tips For Exam Prep
With formal exams coming ever closer pupils can sometimes feel that they do not know how to revise. So in order to support you as parents and carers we have provided a link that gives guidance on best practice.
Advice on revision techniques and strategies can be very important for pupils and parents. It will be very useful for pupils and parents to take look at this article from the Guardian:
The article provides advice about the ‘golden rules’ for revision and has some interesting ideas about trying different methods of revising for pupils and exploring different ways parents can support their son/ daughter as they prepare for exams.
The top tips:
1. Start revision early
2. Do small chunks of revision… and do this often
3. Make a plan – and stick to the plan
4. Get plenty of sleep and rest between revision
5. Exercise – preferably outside and then you get some fresh air, too
6. Eat healthily – a banana will sustain you for longer than a biscuit!
Our MYED parent app also provides links to other sources of helpful guidance, tips and resources for exam preparation, how to deal with exam stress and much more. (My School, Resources, Exams).
Something that worked for me when I sat my exams was to break down my day into half hour chunks, during the week I would do 2 hours (four subjects) which rotated across the week so I covered all my subjects at least twice, I had one day off over the weekend and one day looking through all my subjects
30 minutes – English 30 minutes – Maths 30 minutes – Science 30 minutes – Option 1
30 minutes – Option 2 30 minutes – Option 3 30 minutes – Option 4 30 minutes – general revision
End of year trips Yr 7 - Yr 9
This year to reward the pupils for having excellent attendance [95 % or better] we will be taking pupils to Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
To qualify for this reward tip students must have an attendance of 95% or better between Monday 30 April and Friday 13 July.
Week beginning 16th July we will take one year group per day starting with Year 7 on the Monday of that week. The cost will be a nominal amount of £10 which will cover coach transport to Blackpool from School.
More details will be communicated closer to the time.
End of year trip – Y 10
Before Easter, I discussed with Yr 10 pupils the importance of our attitude when we are in school learning. So in light of this, all pupils who average an Attitude to Learning score of 2.4 or higher (1 being the highest) will be invited to attend their end of year trip which is due to take place on Thursday 19th July.
Before the end of this half term, we will communicate with your son/daughter on their current Attitude to Learning score. After the May half term this will then be reset in order to allow as many pupils as possible to celebrate together and be rewarded for having a mature approach to their studies.
Y11 Heroes and Drama
Some of our Y11 Heroes (student leaders) who also happen to be GCSE drama students have been running a voluntary weekly lunchtime drama club for Year 7 students. The sessions are planned by the students and focused on learning some key skills in physical theatre and scripted performance. The group aims to develop confidence and team work skills but they also enjoy the social aspect and have fun, particularly in the theatre setting. The skills the students are passing on are of GCSE level standard and preparing the younger ones brilliantly for when they might want to pursue drama at a higher level.
We continue to look at ways to improve our whole school figures and Yrs 7, 8 and 9 fluctuate between being just above 95% some days and just below.
Year 10 currently are struggling to achieve over 91% for most days. If you are a parent of a Year 10 child it is crucial that you send your son or daughter into school each and every day. They are 12 months away from sitting their GCSE exams and at this half way point during their GCSE courses we need them in in order to help them achieve the very best grades possible next year.
If you are a Year 11 parent it goes without saying that these final few days are still massively important as are the extra support sessions that we are providing before and after.
Dates for Your Diary:
3rd May Year 10 Parents' Evening 3:45pm to 6pm
14th May Exams Commence
16th May World Challenge Parents Talk 5pm
28th May Half Term
6th June Y9 Vaccinations
25th June Y11 Prom
3rd July Y6 Primary School Parents Information Evening 5pm
13th July Y10 & Y12 Mock Exam Results
13th July Y13 Prom
20th July End of Term
(23rd & 24th July INSET Days)
Term Dates and Key Dates can be found on your MyEd parent app or on the school website here: https://www.gateacre.org/about-us/term-dates/