- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Whole school attendance
A roller-coaster of a week regarding our attendance this week. Despite only having four days, some year groups seems to have succumbed to having time off. Of course, we understand that there are bugs, colds and illnesses floating about but we would also not be doing our job if we weren’t challenging those pupils who have attendance lower than 94%. We are bound by a duty of care to have actions for those who are persistently absent, below 90%.
This is year by year for the past week:
Year 11 - No Excuses
Thank you to all those parents who attended the Year 11 Parents Evening last night. I hope you found the time discussing mock results and what needs to be done next useful. If you were not able to attend for whatever reason, I am more than happy to arrange a meeting on another night where I can take you through what your child’s classroom teacher would have said. We at Gateacre are committed to removing any excuse and any barrier to ensure that your child is in the best place possible to achieve the grades they have worked so hard for.
The first whole cohort exam for Year 11 is Biology on Tuesday 14th May 2019 which is 91 school days away from Monday 10th December. It doesn’t sound like a lot when you break it down only into days spent in school. The very last exam is Statistics on Tuesday 18th June 2019 whilst ALL schools in the country have the same contingency day should there be any unforeseen national or local event preventing an exam taking place on a particular day. This academic year the contingency day has been set as Wednesday 26th June 2019. So please do not book any holidays or time away until the end of this exam period.
As I said to many of you at Parents Evening, and in the Year 11 Parent Study Guide, your support is critical in helping your child achieve their very best possible grades. We are offering a great deal of support; the school is open early so that your son or daughter can come into school and prepare for the day ahead, each department has additional revision and support sessions most nights of the week and we are more than happy for the children to use our computer facilities to complete any work or homework they need to do.
The Parent Study Guide in particular has key information for you to use in order to support your child at home over the final 6 months. Is your child using GCSE Bitesize, Corbett Maths, GCSE Pod? Are they doing practice papers especially with maths? Have they read their books and poetry for English? Have they got a revision timetable (example and blank in your pack)? An extra 1 ½ to 2 hours a night study between now and the summer will have such a positive impact on your child’s confidence and wellbeing because they will be transferring their knowledge from working memory into their long term memory. Study-Guide.pdf
We have included Carl Hendrick’s study guide both for you and for your child as an example of best practice when it comes to preparing for tests. The guide is also on both our Twitter and Facebook feeds but if you click here it will take you directly to the source for ‘Wellington College Study Guide’ . The guide is possibly one of the most simplistic, straight forward and easy to use study guides I have come across in the past 18 years of being in education. If either of the links above do not take you directly to the pdf document follow this https://chronotopeblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/wellington-college-study-guide1.pdf
There can be no excuses for the next 6 months it is so important that your child attends school every day, that they aren’t just on time for the first lesson of the day but that they are early and together we all put maximum effort into making sure they are well prepared for when the exams begin.
What we should also remember is there needs to be a good work-life balance so any revision timetable needs to factor in a day off and time to socialise, exercise, and take part in family activities. Both GCSE and A Level exams are important, but so is being happy and healthy.
End of term arrangements – Friday 21st December 2018
On Friday 21st December school will shut down for the Christmas holidays at 12:00pm and we will re-open our doors again from 07:45am on Monday 7th January 2019 with lessons starting at 08:45am.
We expect excellent attendance right up to Friday 21st December and my message to staff is to teach proper lessons up to the end of term, which means your child has 17 days off to enjoy the Christmas festivities.
Year 11 Sport Science Exam – Friday 11th January 2019
Certainly is ‘interesting’ timing to have part of the Sport Science GCSE exam just after the Christmas holiday, but there is little we can do about this.
This is what you need to know and revising between now and the 11th January…
Any issues, worries or concerns about this exam please do speak to your child’s PE teacher who will be happy to give advice and guidance.
Closing The Vocabulary Gaps
Every week, as part of our literacy focus in school, in order to improve vocabulary and understanding we feature a new word of the week. Parents can engage with this at home and help by using it and encouraging your child to use it within context. Next week's word of the week is:
Choose Love & Hope
Anti-hate crime campaign
Forthcoming Events & Christmas Celebrations
Dates for Your Diary:
21st December: End Of Term 12 noon
7th January 2019: Spring Term Starts
10th January 2019: Y9 Parent Evening 3:45pm - 6pm
11th January 2019 Y11 Sport Science Exam
14th January 2019: Y13 Mocks commence
14th January 2019: Y12 Work Experience
31st January 2019: Sixth Form Parents Evening 3:45pm - 6pm
31st January 2019: Y9 Options Evening
18th February 2019: Half Term