- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Disadvantaged Students
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Headteacher's Newsletter 23/09/2019
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsletter 30/09/2019
- Newsletter 07/10/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsletter 14/10/2019
- Newsletter 21/10/19
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsletter 04/11/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsletter 11/11/19
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsletter 18/11/19
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsletter 25/11/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- Newsletter 3rd December 2019
- Newsletter 9/12/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsletter 16/12/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsletter 6th January 2020
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsletter 13th January 2020
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsletter 20/01/20
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- Blood Brothers
- We are the champions!
- Girls Football update
- Ghost Hunting with Yvette Fielding
- Project Phosela
- Ghost Hunting with Archie, Yvette and Watson
- Peace Out
- Basketball update
- Cyber Champions
- Another Place
- BIG Little Library Christmas Book Flood
- Drama at The Basement
- Christmas Comedy Cracker
- Carol Concert
- Girls in STEM
- Strauss and Stravinsky
- FREE online course for parents, carers and grandparents
- Coming Soon! Bands Night
- City indoor athletics competition
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- Archive Newsflash
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
Really impressive attendance this week Monday to Thursday from Years 8 through to 10, a little slip below 94% for Year 8 yesterday and Year 9 on Monday. But on the whole a really impressive week and something that certainly within school we are seeing such huge benefits from; better engagement in lessons, better progress being made, more smiles on faces, less gaps in pupils books.
Year 7 has been a shock to be honest, Wednesday especially was very concerning given that it was such a strange pattern of attendance, especially in relation to the other year groups in school performing so well.
I cannot stress enough how important good attendance across the entire year is - at Gateacre we don’t have an end of year ‘wind down’. Whatever your personal feelings might be on this, we believe that it is important to work hard from day number 1 right through to day number 190. Every day is as important as the previous, as is the day following. Continuity and consistency go hand in hand and this is proven year after year by those pupils in Years 11 and 13 who open their results in August. Those whose attendance is at 95% and above make more progress from similar starting points than their peers.
As ever though, we turn to Friday’s attendance……and yes, last week was wet in parts, Friday’s attendance was in truth poor, this week it has been warm and sunny. If you are the parent that keeps your child off each Friday because you or they like a long weekend, all you are doing is storing up trouble later. It is your job as a parent to be fully on board with us, ensuring your child gets to school ON TIME, everyday which includes Friday.
After today, we have 15 school days left, it would be such a wonderful end to the year being able to say to you all that pupil attendance has been the best it has been for the past 3 years. It starts with you.
Parent submissions for the School Development Plan: thank you to those parents who submitted feedback and submissions following my invitation in previous newsflash editions. Your input is appreciated and parental consultations are valued.
Reminder of forthcoming key dates:
- Year 10 & 12 Mock results afternoon, 4th July
- Year 10 Parents Evening, Thursday 4th July 3:45-6:15pm
Echo Schools Awards 2019
As you may have been aware if you follow us on social media, we were at the Liverpool Echo Schools Awards this week. The awards celebrate all the great work done by Secondary, Primary and Special schools right across the Liverpool City Region from the Wirral up to Sefton and everything in-between.
We are humbly proud to be Winners in the following three categories: Team of the Year; School in the Community; Secondary School of the Year
Class/Team of the Year
Won by our Year 10 STEM girls who are regional and national Junior Science Champions for their eco STEM project ‘Naturally Infused’ creations with wound healing properties. A great end to the academic year for the girls and wonderful recognition for the staff that supported the girls and running the group in school.
School in the Community Award
For our World Challenge team who travelled to Swaziland this summer to help build a new school for the Phosella Project. You may have seen in early Newsflashes our requests for charitable donations; clothing, learning materials to support the team over in Swaziland who are working miracles in such challenging circumstances.
Secondary School of Year
An incredibly competitive award which we were all incredibly shocked to have won given that the other schools shortlisted are both truly wonderful. Both Sandfield Park and St Francis of Assisi are fantastic schools doing amazing things and it was such an honour to have been shortlisted. Winning the award was very special given the situation the school was in only 2 ½ years ago. I like to think that this award shows what is possible when everyone in the entire school community helps us do our job…teach young people, ensure they know more at the end of the day than they did at the start.
Awards were presented by Radio City's Breakfast Show presenter Leanne Campbell and hosted by LJMU in the John Lennon Art & Design Building.
A special awards supplement will also appear in the Liverpool Echo on Tuesday 2nd July.
A link to a feature about the awards can be found here - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/echo-schools-awards-recognise-wonderful-16485875
Our Year 11s have been having a great time enjoying the sun in Betws-y-Coed, Snowden this week on their DofE Trip.
Word of the Week
Next week's WOW is:
Liverpool Children's Festival of Reading
Next Saturday 29th June we will be holding a free event for children aged 6-13 and their families in our (now famous) Big Little Library situated in Belle Vale Shopping Centre, as part of the Liverpool Children's Festival of Reading. Details below:
Jungle Book - 2nd, 3rd & 5th July
We are all looking forward immensely to our annual spectacular show which this year will be Jungle Book Kids - Disney Performance. Tickets are now on sale to see this great production brought to you by our Drama & Music departments, featuring not only our super talented students but some of our local primary school students as well. Please see the show promo below for information and where to buy tickets.
Key Dates For Your Diary:
2nd July: Y6 Parents Info Evening (Sportsbarn) Doors open 5pm, Headteacher's Talk 6pm
3rd July: Y6 Induction Day
2nd, 3rd, 5th July: Jungle Book the show - doors open 6pm (tickets £3.50)
4th July: Y10 Parents Evening 3:45pm - 6pm
9th July: Art Exhibition
16th July: Summer Concert 7pm
19th July: End of Term
15th Aug: 8-11am A level results
22nd Aug: 9-11am GCSE results
2nd & 3rd Sept: INSET
4th Sept: Start of Term
20th Sept: INSET / Y6 Taster Day for primary schools
Apply for free school meals online, it's easy. Click here: www.liverpool.gov.uk/free-school-meals