- About our School
- Safeguarding Team
- Mission Statement
- Supporting your Child
- Absence from School
- Specialist School Status
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium
- Prevent Strategy
- Promoting British Values
- Pupil Premium
- Headteacher's Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsletter 9/9/19
- End of Term Newsflash - Friday 19th July 2019
- Newsflash 12/07/2019
- Headteacher's Newsletter 16/9/19
- Headteacher's Newsletter 23/09/2019
- Newsflash 05/07/2019
- Newsflash 28/06/2019
- Newsletter 30/09/2019
- Newsletter 07/10/2019
- Newsflash 21/06/19
- Newsflash 14/06/2019
- Newsletter 14/10/2019
- Newsflash 24/05/2019
- Newsflash 07/06/2019
- Newsflash 17/05/19
- Newsflash 10/05/2019
- Newsflash 03/05/2019
- Newsflash 26/04/2019
- End of Spring Term Newsletter 05/04/2019
- Newsflash 29/03/2019
- Newsflash 22/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/03/2019
- Newsflash 08/03/2019
- Newsflash 01/03/2019
- Newsflash 15/02/2019
- Newsflash 08/02/2019
- Newsflash 01/02/2019
- Newsflash 25/01/2019
- Newsflash 18/01/2019
- Newsflash 21/12/2018
- Newsflash 14/12/18
- Newsflash 07/12/2018
- Newsflash 30/11/2018
- Newsflash 23/11/2018
- Newsflash 16/11/2018
- Newsflash 09/11/2018
- Newsflash 19/10/2018
- Newsflash 12/10/2018
- Newsflash 28/09/2018
- Newsflash 05/10/2018
- Newsflash 21/09/2018
- Newsflash 14/09/2018
- Newsflash 07/09/2018
- Newsflash 11/01/2019
- Summer Post 16 & GCSE Results Newsflash August 2018
- Newsflash 02/11/2018
- 2019/20 News
- 2018/19 News
- Safer Internet Day 5th Feb
- Are you ready for Readathon 2018?
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Echo Awards shortlist announced!
- A Giant offer!
- Gateacre take on the Challenge
- Our Community Fair
- There's always Drama!
- Educate Awards 2018- Winners revealed
- We rocked Readathon!
- Remembering The Holocaust
- The BIG Little Library Book Flood is back!
- Folding for Chinese New Year
- Not a "silent night"
- A Christmas Book Flood
- Christmas cheer with our Primary Schools
- A Community Christmas
- A Christmas Comedy
- Drama at The Basement
- Magic Breakfast!
- Making Music with Middlefield
- Wonderful Work Experience
- Year 7 Football results
- Democracy Ambassadors
- The Big Bang Fair 2019
- A visit from The Apprentice
- A Titanic trip
- Good luck Year 11
- Year 7 go to Uni!
- Dragon Boats!
- Our Sports Leaders
- Travel Training Awards
- A stunning Summer Concert
- A Level Results Day
- GCSE Results Day
- 2017/18 News
- Safer Internet Day 6th Feb
- 2017 Archive
- Headteacher's Newsflash
- Newsflash 1 08/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/09/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/09/17
- Are you ready for Readathon?
- Gateacre's National Citizens
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/09/17
- Educate Awards 2017 Shortlist Announced
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/10/17
- Sonic App
- Restart a Heart Day
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/10/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/10/2017
- A Bright Future with Unilever
- Halloween Lantern Parade
- Headteacher's Newsflash 03/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 10/11/2017
- Headteacher's Newsflash 17.11.17
- Headteacher's Newsflash 24.11.17
- Tomorrow Night CSE
- Educate Award 2017 winners!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 01.12.17
- Heroes helping the Homeless
- Health Skills Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/12/2017
- BIG Little Library Book Flood
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/12/17
- Gateacre and Strictly Ballroom 2017
- End Of Term 1 Newsletter
- Carol Concert
- Christmas cookies
- Local schools decorate for Christmas!
- Shoeboxes Full of Love
- A Community Christmas
- Survivors of Stroke
- A Creative and Colourful Christmas
- The Punctuation Show
- Headteacher's Newsflash 12/01/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 19/01/2018
- Reading, Raising, Amazing
- Headteacher's Newsflash 26/01/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/02/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 23/02/2018
- Gateacre Heroes on film
- Headteacher's Newsflash 02/03/18
- Cracking the Code
- A magical World Book Day!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 09/03/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 16/03/2018
- End Of Term 2 Newsletter
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/04/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 20/04/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 27/04/18
- World Challenge Training
- Headteacher's Newsflash 04/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 11/05/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 18/05/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 25/05/18
- Echo Schools Awards shortlist announced!
- Headteacher's Newsflash 08/06/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 15/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 22/06/18
- Could you be a Young leader?
- Headteacher's Newsflash 29/06/18
- Headteacher's Newsflash 06/07/2018
- Headteacher's Newsflash 13/07/2018
- End Of Term Newsflash 20/07/18
- Uno champions!
- History trip to Poland
- Archive Newsflash
- School Performance
- Images of Gateacre School
- Term Dates
- Facility Hire
- Parent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Transition Zone
- Staff Zone
- Ofsted Zone
INSET Day – Monday 3rd December
A REMINDER THAT SCHOOL IS CLOSED TO STUDENTS ON MONDAY DUE TO INSET DAY.
Year 11 Pre-Public Exam (mocks) results and Parents Evening
Today your child will receive their PPE results which will give them an indication of how hard they worked and the amount of effort they have put into their GCSEs so far.
We are incredibly pleased with some of the students' outcomes and, with 6 months to go, now is the time to ensure that your child is putting maximum effort into achieving their personal best. With GCSEs being much harder, having greater content and pupils having to retain more information, it is vitally important that you spend time looking at how your child did and supporting them over the next few months.
The results have also highlighted a minority of pupils who have simply performed as both they and we would have expected. Experience tells us that if your child comes home this evening (Friday) and is not happy, it will be because they have not put in the effort required or expected. Sometimes that is a very difficult message to hear, but it must be said. No one else can sit your child’s exams in summer, everyone here at Gateacre wants your child to excel and be proud of their achievements but for that to happen they have to put effort into their studies and work hard.
Year 11 Parents Evening is on Thursday 6th December, starting at 15.45. I sincerely hope that every child and every parent in Year 11 can attend that evening as it is an opportunity to discuss performance over the past few weeks and look at what is required going forward.
Tonight, at home you will either have a child who is fairly happy with their results or you will have a child who is quite upset. You have to ask, how much effort did they put in? Did they really take these mock exams seriously? Have they arrived on time, every day for their most important school year? Looking below at the Year group attendance tracker I would argue that there are a number of Year 11 pupils who need to put more effort in.
There is still time, these are only mock results, we are here to help, but your child and you (as their parent/carer) have got to help.
Attendance across Y7-11 has been quite mixed again this week. Some individual year groups have had what can only be described as outstanding attendance and demonstrates such a clear difference to attitudes from pupils and parents than when I very first started at Gateacre. Remember, as I said last week, we are asking for 190 days out of 365. There are 175 days left for everything else.
- Green highlighted squares are above national average, amber are cause for concern and anything red is alarming.
- Good attendance is anything above 97% and that is what we are striving for but we need your help with that.
Comparing week beginning 19th November with this week (26th November) there are some clear improvements for some Year groups, but Year 11s who are sitting GCSE exams in the summer are simply not attending enough. I cannot stress enough to parents of Year 11 pupils who read this, not only how important every single day is between now and the exams but also arriving on time at 08:40 ready to start learning at 08:45.
It is really quite frustrating to look at Year 11 attendance because this year is so important, I cannot stress this enough. If your child is not in, they are not learning.
Are your details up to date?
Unless you let us know you have moved, changed phones or have a new email address we will only have the original information you supplied for us.
We also have spare SIMS forms at Reception for you to keep us up to date with any changes.
So if something has changed; name, address, mobile or land line number, email address let us know as soon as you can so we can keep our records up to date.
Closing The Vocabulary Gaps
Every week, as part of our literacy focus in school, in order to improve vocabulary and understanding we feature a new word of the week. Parents can engage with this at home and help by using it and encouraging your child to use it within context. Next week's word of the week is:
Good News Stories & Student Success This Week
Cross Challenge Success
On Saturday Max Webster in Y7 ran the "Cross Challenge" for the Harriers. Max ran 3k in 11 minutes and 15 seconds and finished an impressive 22nd out of 182 participants. Well done Max and keep on running!
A company called Impropriety have been working with some Y9 and Y13 students for the past 3 weeks, developing characterisation and improvisation skills.
The Drama Department also have an exciting Comedy Showcase coming up on 12th December with details below. Tickets are available to buy from reception.
Homeless Charity Donations
Year 8 have been exploring the topic of Homelessness and as part of the course they have been asked to donate one item for the homeless charity ‘The Basement’ who's mission is to challenge homelessness and addiction by promoting recovery and empowering people to transform their own lives. The basement are coming in on Tuesday 4th December to speak to students about the topic of Homelessness and to dispel any misunderstandings students may have regarding the subject.
As you can see students and guardians have been incredibly generous for donating to the charity just in time for Christmas and on behalf of the Drama Department we want to thank all of the students and guardians for their donations and for engaging with the curriculum in such a fantastic way. If you would like to donate further students can bring in donations Tuesday 6th December and onwards and I will make sure they reach The Basement to help with the busy Christmas period.
Choose Love & Hope
Anti-hate crime campaign
Liverpool as a city is endorsing the Choose Love and Hope Anti Hate Crime Campaign. We will feature a series of posters from iconic people and ambassadors for peace to help spread the message: "Choose Love & Hope"
Forthcoming Events & Christmas Celebrations
Dates for Your Diary:
INSET Day: 3rd December (school is closed)
6th December: Y11 Parent Evening 3:34pm to 6pm
21st December: End Of Term 12 noon
7th January 2019: Spring Term Starts