Why choose Gateacre?
Top performing school in Liverpool for A Level value added (DfE performance table Jan 2019)
Outstanding results in all subjects offered at A Level and Vocational courses.
100% of our year 13 students who applied to university gained a university place of their choice.
We have a team of specialist subject teachers with long experience of post-16 education
We offer a range of enrichment activities to suit a wide variety of interests.
Ofsted October 2017 Quotes
- “The school’s sixth form provides an inclusive and aspirational education for its students….students benefit from a high-quality post-16 experience. “
- “Teaching in the sixth form is consistently good. “
- “Careers education, information, advice and guidance are strong in the sixth form. Students speak very positively about this support.”
- “A high priority is given to students’ personal development, well-being and welfare. “
- "I like the attitude of the teachers. We are treated more like adults - not so much on a teacher / pupil basis."
- "There are plenty of activities in the Sixth Form - charity work, quizzes, sport etc."
- "I like the private study lessons. It gives you a chance to keep up with the work."
- “The teachers are really approachable and you know they care about you.”
- "You seem to have more freedom and more privacy.”
Gateacre Sixth Form offers an excellent transition from the experience of compulsory education to the demands of the outside world and higher education, training and employment. There are plenty of people on hand to support you in making the right decision for your situation.
We want to extend an invitation to all students in Year 11 and their parents to consider very carefully all we have to offer to those who wish to continue with their education in the Sixth Form here at Gateacre. We are extremely proud of the contribution that our Sixth Formers make to the life of the school: the effort that they put into their studies, the example that they set to younger students and the wide variety of charity and community projects they undertake.
There is a great deal of choice and variety in the courses of study that young people can follow in our Sixth Form including A-Levels, vocational qualifications and resit GCSEs. Our aim is to make the Sixth Form accessible to all those who wish to enrol and are committed to working hard and attending reliably. If we cannot find the right combination of courses for any individual, we can also direct him or her to our collaborative partners in this part of the city. For several years now, Gateacre has had one of the most successful Sixth Forms in the city in terms of academic performance and achieving places at University.
We know that success will continue in the excellent learning environment offered by our school. This is supported by an excellent programme of advice and guidance offered to all the students to help steer them through the many choices and opportunities they will have now and in the future.
Sixth Form students at Gateacre are expected to do more than study. We encourage students to become involved in the wider social life of the school and we regard social and personal development as important aspects of Post-16 education.
All students in Year 12 will choose from a range of enrichment activities, which they must participate in for at least one lesson a week. Courses running this year include:
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Make your own beauty products
- Guitar for beginners
- Beginners languages
- Serial Killers
- Fashion Design
- Music appreciation