Year 7 Literacy & Numeracy Catch-up Premium
This fund has now been discontinued, with last payments being for the 2019 to 2020 academic year.
Y7 Catch-Up Premium 2019/20
The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium gives schools additional funding to support year 7 pupils who did not achieve the expected standard (a scaled score of 100) in reading and or/maths at the end of key stage 2. Using various interventions, we as a school focus on giving these students the opportunity to ‘catch up’ to their peers in their first year at secondary school. Schools decide how this additional funding should be spent to best support the boosting of these young people’s progress.
In 2019/20 we will identify the Catch-up premium cohort and using the Question Level Analysis (QLA) of the KS2 SATS papers, pin point the key areas that these students may need additional support with.
This academic year 75 students have been identified as Non Secondary Ready in Reading and a further 55 students were identified as Non Secondary Ready in Maths.
How we intend to spend our allocation for 2019/20
A Level 3 Teaching Assistant who specialises in numeracy has been employed since Sept’17 to give students a mix of small group extraction and 1:1 support focusing on;
- Developing students understanding of core mathematical principles.
- Giving students the time and support to practice and master core mathematical skills.
- Building student’s confidence in maths and fostering enthusiasm for the subject.
- Using innovative and enjoyable resources such as Times Table Rockstars, Numeracy Ninjas, Number shark, and the Catch up Numeracy programme.
- Three TAs will be leading a range of bespoke reading/literacy interventions before and after school. This will be the Toe by Toe and Word Wasp intervention.
- The SENDCo, Assistant SENDCo, HLTA and a level 3 Teaching Assistant will deliver literacy interventions in the inclusion department using a mix of a PIXL Phonics programme to deliver multisensory teaching approaches, accelerated reading, and the Catch up Literacy programme.
- We also offer Private Tuition after school to boost reading, handwriting, and word processing skills.
- The Literacy Co-ordinator delivers a bespoke reading catch up programme to students during form time.
The impact Catch-up Premium had in 2018/19
The progress of the cohort of 102 students was as follows;
50 students qualified for the Maths catch-up premium.
|Level of progress||Number of students||Percentage|
|Total number of Students||50|
|Students who were on target at Assessment Point 3||26||52%|
|Students who completed the Numeracy Cath up programme successfully||27||54%|
|Students who will continue to get support and be monitored in year 8||14||28%|
52 students qualified for the Reading/English catch-up premium
|Levels of progress||Number of students||Percentage|
|Total number of students||52|
|Students who were on target at Assessment Point 3||27||52%|
|Students who completed the Literacy Catch up programme successfully||14||27%|
|Students who will continue to get support and be monitored in year 8||17||37%|
As a school are now using PIVATS to track smaller steps of progress. We will continue to support our catch up students using the graduated approach.
Y7 Catch up Funding Allocation 2018 to 2019
|Yr 7 Catch up Support Activity||Time||Staff||Hrly Rate||Number of Staff||Number of Hrs||Number of weeks||Total Cost per week||Cost|
|Nurture Group Maths||TA||£10.65||1||4||38||£42.60||£1618.80|
|Nurture Group English||TA||£10.65||1||4||38||£42.60||£1618.80|
|Literacy Catch up and Accelerated Reading||8 hours per week||TA||£10.65||1||8||38||£85.20||£3237.60|
|Numeracy Catch up||15 hours per week||TA||£10.65||1||10||38||£159.75||£6070.50|